BeadBuster XB-450

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

M37@GWN

BeadBuster XB-450

Post by M37@GWN »

Anyone used this device on Budd rims and mil tires?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS8xGEmedik

The video shows a chap working on an ATV rim, but the company's webpage indicates that this device will work on 4X4 tires.

Rob
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: BeadBuster XB-450

Post by w30bob »

Hi Rob,

I've never used that tool, but judging by what it took to break the beads on a couple of 65+ year old NDTs on Budd rims..........I think those old tires would laugh at that tool. But like I said.....I've never used it first hand.

regards,
bob
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

That looks pretty good. Beats jumping up and down on the tire or using a Hi Lift jack or even a fork lift and a heck of a lot safer then running it over with a 5 ton tractor . Of cause I don't recommend you do any of these things...... :shock:

sAL
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

w30bob wrote:Hi Rob,

I've never used that tool, but judging by what it took to break the beads on a couple of 65+ year old NDTs on Budd rims..........I think those old tires would laugh at that tool. But like I said.....I've never used it first hand.

regards,
bob
I have to agree with Bob on this one. The last 9.00x16 that I dismounted was fused to the rim, and I think this tool would have broken before it budged that tire. My manual impact bead breaker just bounced off. I finally had to cut the tire off (carefully) with a Sawzall.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
M37@GWN

Post by M37@GWN »

Trial on hold until further notice due to administrative issues.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I would be afraid it would damage the split rings as it uses them as its fulcrum. I have several home made bead breakers that work with various levels of ease or success that don't ever touch the wheel itself. The easiest to make is the "garage stud" bead breaker. You bolt a long 2x6 to a stud a few feet up from the floor. Another 2x6 is bolted to that about 2' out and it is the breaker. Put your heaviest friend on the end to push down.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

Liberal soap and a 36" duckbill. In 40 years of M37's, Dueces, and 5-tons, I haven't had a wheel I couldn't break down with that and a couple irons.

Dennis aka PoW
M37@GWN

Post by M37@GWN »

Well, this little tool is just too little to handle the M37 rims. It cannot get a safe grip on the inside of the rim and the foot does not reach in far enough - it should touch the rim. When deployed as instructed, the tool either pops off (with some force) or only pushes down on the casing. I will be modifying the tool to extend the arm that grips the inside of the rim, and by lengthening the "shoe" so that it reaches the inside lip of the rim. More to follow.
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

The old way, tried and true will eventually work. Tire irons and a mallet will get you there. But, since my time has some value I choose to take it to a local tire shop who do industrial stuff and have them break them down for me. $15 a wheel and they will dispose of the junk tire residue. Once they have been broken down and cleaned up, the next time is easy with hand tools. Just be sure the rim and ring are in decent shape and seated properly when inflated. The usual chains or cage and long hose to a remote inflator will keep you safe.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I am about to paint and mount some tires on my Budds rims. I have never done this, and am a little nervous about it. I intend to mount only the lock ring first, to make sure it fully engages the rim before mounting a tire. My main question is, is the mounted tire safe once it is inflated, or do you need to be careful with it while it is on the truck? Does anyone have experience with lick rings coming off after the wheel is on the vehicle?
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

ZGjethro wrote:I am about to paint and mount some tires on my Budds rims. I have never done this, and am a little nervous about it. I intend to mount only the lock ring first, to make sure it fully engages the rim before mounting a tire. My main question is, is the mounted tire safe once it is inflated, or do you need to be careful with it while it is on the truck? Does anyone have experience with lick rings coming off after the wheel is on the vehicle?
If you're licking the rings, you should try some tire lubricant instead. :lol:

If the lock ring and rim are in good condition; if the lock ring, tire, flap, and tube are installed correctly; and if the tire is successfully inflated with safety chains or in a tire cage, then you shouldn't have to worry about it once it's on the truck. There are several good threads here about how to do this work.

It's possible for a wheel assembly to degrade in the field from corrosion or damage, to the point that the lock ring would explosively fail, but uncommon. Regular inspection should help prevent it.

Remember, hundreds of thousands of these rims were in use on thousands and thousands of military trucks, in all climates and in severe conditions. Most of us don't subject them to anywhere near the amount of abuse that they were designed for.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776