Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Tyroma
PFC
PFC

Rear axle oil seal...

Post by Tyroma »

Hey Gang...

ANyone know where I can get a rear axle hub seal for my Canadian 54 M37? I managed to find one for the passenger side....got it all done, and the leak stopped, and now the driver's side is leaking. Hate to get gear oil all over my brand new tires and freshly painted wheels. The SKF brand oil seal number is 20538 and the other part number is CRWH1 R

Thanks!

TY
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Rear axle oil seal...

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Tyroma wrote:Hey Gang...

ANyone know where I can get a rear axle hub seal for my Canadian 54 M37? I managed to find one for the passenger side....got it all done, and the leak stopped, and now the driver's side is leaking. Hate to get gear oil all over my brand new tires and freshly painted wheels. The SKF brand oil seal number is 20538 and the other part number is CRWH1 R

Thanks!

TY
We have both the inner and outer seals for the rear. $15 each, plus shipping.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Tyroma
PFC
PFC

Post by Tyroma »

Hey Charles...

Is it the oil seal that fits into the metal ring? If so, how much shipped to N3Y4J9?

Thanks!

Ty
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Post by snowdad »

Folks,
Do the M37s/American versions use the same seals?
Phillip
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Tyroma wrote:Hey Charles...

Is it the oil seal that fits into the metal ring? If so, how much shipped to N3Y4J9?

Thanks!

Ty
Can you explain better where this seal goes? I thought you were speaking of the wheel hub seals.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Perhaps this will help get us all on the same page.
Ord 9 Drwg.JPG
Ord 9 Drwg.JPG (126.14 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Tyroma
PFC
PFC

Post by Tyroma »

Hey Guys...

I managed to find another SKF 20538 at NAPA (the same one that fit PERFECTLY on the side I already fixed...). I pulled the driver's side apart last night...what a surprise...it had a different size oil seal! Arg! Don't know if it's from a different model year, or civilian truck or what. Ah well...back to the oil seal book at NAPA to find the right size... :roll:

TY
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Which seal? D or U

Old numbers for D (ORD# 500174) are Napa 49426 or CR 28116

Old numbers for U (ORD# 500125) are NAPA SS49857 or CR 20766 or NAT 6077
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Tyroma
PFC
PFC

Post by Tyroma »

Arg! Where were you yesterday? Just kidding...I just got the assembly put back together. I used some Permatex Ultra Black gasket maker to make a new seal inside the seal housing (part U), then I used the two gaskets on either side of the housing with more Permatex on both sides. I'd be surprised if it still leaks! But if it does, now at least I have the part mubers. Thanks!

Ty
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Tyroma wrote:Arg! Where were you yesterday? Just kidding...I just got the assembly put back together. I used some Permatex Ultra Black gasket maker to make a new seal inside the seal housing (part U), then I used the two gaskets on either side of the housing with more Permatex on both sides. I'd be surprised if it still leaks! But if it does, now at least I have the part mubers. Thanks!

Ty
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'll go ahead and be the first to tell you that your efforts were time wasted in making a seal from silicone. Seal "U" is the one that seals oil in the axle housing out from the hub interior and wheel bearings. Oil in the hub will wash all the grease from the bearings. The leak you previously had at the axle shaft flange kept oil from entering the hub and saved you a larger mess. Unless you have oil of sufficient quantity in the hub, (which should not be) the bearings can be starved for lubrication. Unless you have a really good inner hub seal, your oil leak will now appear at the inner seal on the spindle. This time your brake linings and drum interior will also be saturated.

The part# Wes offered is a seal that will fit the application, (if it's still available, not sure) but is leather and not a rubber lip seal. I never saw one used (leather) that would hold back oil from entering the hub. A waste of time to install it. The seals we use are buna-N, and do a good job as long as the mating surface of the spindle nut is good.

I'm just offering these suggestions to save you time and $$, and quite honestly, there is no need in doing something that as a given fact will not work. Good luck.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Tyroma
PFC
PFC

Post by Tyroma »

Hey Charles...

Not to worry about bearing bad news...better to know, and we all appreciate your taking the time to educate us!

Now do those Buna-N seals that you used have the metal disc (as shown in the above diagram) or is it just the oil seal? I ask because the left and right are different on my truck. On the passenger side, I was able to get SKF seal 20538 for it...perfect fit...and install it into the disc. On the dirver's side, though, the seal was of the leather type, and of a totally different diameter.

How much for a pair of those Buna-N seals from you (shipped to N3Y4J9)? Might as well get the right ones, and do it right!

Thanks!

Ty
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Tyroma wrote:Hey Charles...

Not to worry about bearing bad news...better to know, and we all appreciate your taking the time to educate us!

Now do those Buna-N seals that you used have the metal disc (as shown in the above diagram) or is it just the oil seal? I ask because the left and right are different on my truck. On the passenger side, I was able to get SKF seal 20538 for it...perfect fit...and install it into the disc. On the dirver's side, though, the seal was of the leather type, and of a totally different diameter.

How much for a pair of those Buna-N seals from you (shipped to N3Y4J9)? Might as well get the right ones, and do it right!

Thanks!

Ty
What we have is the real deal with the disc ready to install. The cost is $15 each. Not sure about shipping as you are outside the US. USPS will be the most reasonable shipping for small items, but is what it is.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com