Trucks of non OD color

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Nick,
OD is fine, but dont discount the validity of Strata Blue and the Navy Grey. Both are every bit as accurate as OD.
Tim
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Nick, while I appreciate and undersand your sentiments, I'm not a fan of the OD, and to paint it up OD while not having served in the military myself would make me feel somewhat of a hypocrite.

If it was a rare WW2 WC carryall, no question I would paint it OD. I like strata blue, but, she doesnt, and neither of us like navy grey.

I've seriously considered spraying the brown back on it that it was when I got it, as I've seen them in worse colors.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I think Strata blue with black trim would be a good color combo on a power wagon of that erra so if someone was going to do a M37 with a civilan look I think that would be good color combination IMHO! Personnally I'm going to paint my truck (if I can ever get time and money to stop fighting and play nice together) three color nato cammo, but that's for me and my specific project. If I was restoring the truck to original I would be doing 24087 with white stars.

Since Josh's truck is highly modified I think his choice of going with civilian coloring is a good idea. So to be more productive in the discussion the colors available on a 1952 civilian dodge truck were Armour Yellow, Dodge truck Dark Green (which to me looks like 24087 in a bright gloss), Dodge Truck Red, Deep Blue (dark blue, darker than Strata), Black, and Dodge Truck Cream (an off white cream color... I saw a new mercury suv [Ford Edge] painted in a simial cream color and I thought it looked kinda of cool.)

Anyway here is a link to the paint samples for Dodge trucks. Starts with 1948 and goes up to 1956.
http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/col ... /index.htm

It's your monster Josh paint it rasberry wine with flames if you want....I'll give you a thumbs up!
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

There's the Canadian Air Force light blue, the UN blue or white, but my favorite power wagon paint scheme is the dark green with the black fenders and trim. I think an M37 converted to a wood bed would look awesome with the green/black setup.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Non-OD

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Nickathome wrote:IMO you do a disservice to these fine trucks by NOT painting them OD. My truck gets plenty of looks WITH its OD paint scheme. To paint it another color was not even a consideration for me. To me each his own but don't expect us OD guys to approve of another color.
Could this be going just a little too far? I love the OD if it's done right, but then any color not done right doesn't produce a good result, that's my personal view. We are finishing up a project now that went with the 24087 OD shade, but is a full gloss urethane we had specially blended, (customer specified). It is one of the nicest M37 projects we have ever done. I think all that have seen it fell in love with the color.

We get all sorts of color request here, some I really like, some I almost hate to do, but they aren't my trucks. My job is to paint colors the owners want, and see that it is done RIGHT. In my eyes, the reflection on us is the quality of the paint and the workmanship that went into prep, etc, that produced a first class outcome. The overall appearance of the job is much more important to me than color selection, which is just personal preference. I guess a good example would be the Timken Bearing project we did back in 2006, they ask for the orange and black scheme because it was Timken Corporate colors. It was a company project that was to be used in advertising, etc. I loved the orange and really enjoyed that project, however if they had asked for purple and green with pink accents, I would have put it together using our common workmanship practices to see that end appearance was great regardless of color choices.

I know I'll get hammered about the workmanship we strive to accomplish. Look, I'm well aware that some one who is going to go 4 wheeling in the rough doesn't need a great deal of time and $$ invested in a paint job like we offer. That is where the durability factor comes into the picture, protection becomes #1 over appearance. We do them that way also, but for the most part, we are asked for the high end appearance paint job on most projects. We offer what ever is customer specified as near as we can.

I served in the military, I don't feel I have to paint OD only as a result of that service. Neither would I feel I had to use a color other than OD if I had not served. I've learned after years in the restoration business that the general appearance of a project in the owner's eye means a great deal. If an owner felt compelled to paint OD just because it's a former military vehicle, all the while knowing that just wasn't what they really wanted, they would never be the proud owner of a dream project come true. Appearance is everything, live and let live, it's paint. If a new owner gets it at some point, it can be changed to suit their taste. Changing paint is not a big deal if the prep job was done correctly at the onset, this is just one more reason using top quality workmanship practices pays off big in the long run.

Just another opinion from our view as a restorer.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Josh, the first rule of hobbies is to have fun. If two tone orange and black or whatever is what makes you happy, go for it. I think this thread just shows how diverse a community we are.

My first MV will be AF Strata Blue, because that is where the truck served. But I am from the purist classic Mustang lineage and I think things should be as stock as possible. In fact, I have had to learn not to be so strict on my restoration.

I've seen trucks of all types done up in perfect color and others done in the "wet mop" technique. And I always treated them both as great work since the owners were proud.

You be proud and make you truck like you like it. The rest of us are gonna to that too.

( I just had to show off my partially painted pile of blue parts in my last post!! ) :D 8)
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

k8icu wrote:I think Strata blue with black trim would be a good color combo on a power wagon of that erra so if someone was going to do a M37 with a civilan look I think that would be good color combination IMHO! Personnally I'm going to paint my truck (if I can ever get time and money to stop fighting and play nice together) three color nato cammo, but that's for me and my specific project. If I was restoring the truck to original I would be doing 24087 with white stars.

Since Josh's truck is highly modified I think his choice of going with civilian coloring is a good idea. So to be more productive in the discussion the colors available on a 1952 civilian dodge truck were Armour Yellow, Dodge truck Dark Green (which to me looks like 24087 in a bright gloss), Dodge Truck Red, Deep Blue (dark blue, darker than Strata), Black, and Dodge Truck Cream (an off white cream color... I saw a new mercury suv [Ford Edge] painted in a simial cream color and I thought it looked kinda of cool.)

Anyway here is a link to the paint samples for Dodge trucks. Starts with 1948 and goes up to 1956.
http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/col ... /index.htm

It's your monster Josh paint it rasberry wine with flames if you want....I'll give you a thumbs up!
Thanks for the link. I actually really like the idea of black fenders with that "seawolf submarine grey" on the body. I had originally planned a grey color, but had shied away from it over time. That's the reason the trans and T case are grey... Was going to carry the theme through the whole truck.
Dicktater
CPL
CPL

Post by Dicktater »

Nickathome wrote:IMO you do a disservice to these fine trucks by NOT painting them OD. My truck gets plenty of looks WITH its OD paint scheme. To paint it another color was not even a consideration for me. To me each his own but don't expect us OD guys to approve of another color.
Wow, You should read that back to yourself (real slow) and just listen to how anal that sounds. It almost sounds like some redneck comparing white people to black people. Where are you from?

Disservice to these trucks?.....last time I bought parts for my Ole Yeller, I remember paying for the parts myself.

I saw post of your paint job, red oxide primer (obsolete for many years) and a cheap mopped on od green paint. A paint job that may last a couple years a best. You sir, are the one doing a disservice to that old piece of iron!!

Dicktater
CPL
CPL

Post by Dicktater »

MSeriesRebuild wrote:
Could this be going just a little too far? I love the OD if it's done right, but then any color not done right doesn't produce a good result, that's my personal view. We are finishing up a project now that went with the 24087 OD shade, but is a full gloss urethane we had specially blended, (customer specified). It is one of the nicest M37 projects we have ever done. I think all that have seen it fell in love with the color.

We get all sorts of color request here, some I really like, some I almost hate to do, but they aren't my trucks. My job is to paint colors the owners want, and see that it is done RIGHT. In my eyes, the reflection on us is the quality of the paint and the workmanship that went into prep, etc, that produced a first class outcome. The overall appearance of the job is much more important to me than color selection, which is just personal preference. I guess a good example would be the Timken Bearing project we did back in 2006, they ask for the orange and black scheme because it was Timken Corporate colors. It was a company project that was to be used in advertising, etc. I loved the orange and really enjoyed that project, however if they had asked for purple and green with pink accents, I would have put it together using our common workmanship practices to see that end appearance was great regardless of color choices.

I know I'll get hammered about the workmanship we strive to accomplish. Look, I'm well aware that some one who is going to go 4 wheeling in the rough doesn't need a great deal of time and $$ invested in a paint job like we offer. That is where the durability factor comes into the picture, protection becomes #1 over appearance. We do them that way also, but for the most part, we are asked for the high end appearance paint job on most projects. We offer what ever is customer specified as near as we can.

I served in the military, I don't feel I have to paint OD only as a result of that service. Neither would I feel I had to use a color other than OD if I had not served. I've learned after years in the restoration business that the general appearance of a project in the owner's eye means a great deal. If an owner felt compelled to paint OD just because it's a former military vehicle, all the while knowing that just wasn't what they really wanted, they would never be the proud owner of a dream project come true. Appearance is everything, live and let live, it's paint. If a new owner gets it at some point, it can be changed to suit their taste. Changing paint is not a big deal if the prep job was done correctly at the onset, this is just one more reason using top quality workmanship practices pays off big in the long run.

Well said Charles, not many have the knowledge or the inspiration to do a proper paint job. Color should be the least a your priorities.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

[quote="Dicktater
Well said Charles, not many have the knowledge or the inspiration to do a proper paint job. Color should be the least a your priorities.[/quote]

That's why I like cammo paint jobs....they hide many a sin..... :)
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Dicktater wrote:
MSeriesRebuild wrote:

Well said Charles, not many have the knowledge or the inspiration to do a proper paint job. Color should be the least a your priorities.
On the lighter side, I must say,

WOW!!! I'm awestruck, is this a dream? Dicktater has actually agreed with something I said just once, and I didn't even get falsely accused of labeling him as a "Hoosier hack". I can hardly believe my eyes. Miracles do still take place. By the way I love the Cat yellow, I would love to use that color scheme on a truck for myself. I spent many a day while in the grading business looking at Cat yellow. In fact that was my inspiration to buy my first M37, as a service truck in my grading business. It was however painted Mack truck red, because I had 12 quarts of red on the shelf at the time that was thrown out by the local Mack dealership because the shelf life expired. That same red is still on my truck today, although very faded and worn, it's now 25 years old. The name Charles Talbert Grading Service is still on the doors. Maybe someday I'll have a chance to work on my own truck, mechanically it's great, although it needs some serious attention in the body/paint area these days.

On a more serious note; we take much pride in the workmanship we offer, both in the mechanical shop and the body/paint area of the business. The appearance of our body and paint jobs has played a huge roll in us being chosen as the builder of a good many projects. We certainly can't afford to cut corners in offering quality workmanship, however, color choices will remain 100% the owner's call.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

In my original post to this thread, I disagreed with k8icu's idea of a strata blue/black paint job as "kind of a way of honoring the military." Actually, I think that color combination would be attractive. So would tan with OD fenders, Navy gray with black fenders, et cetera, et al. I think the Cat yellow with black fenders is beautiful. You can paint these trucks any color you want and most color combinations will look great. If one or more of your color choices happens to be a stock military color, fine. Just don't claim to "honor the military" by using it.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

OD

Post by Nickathome »

I should have elaborated a little in my first post. I didn't mean to knock strata blue airforce trucks, or grey naval trucks. My point was, and what I should have said was, any other color besides a military paint scheme is doing these trucks a disservice. Face it, these were not civilian trucks and to paint them as such is wrong IMO. But again personal preference take precedence, so if you favor pink with purple polka dots, have at it. It you that's got to drive an abomination like that, not me.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Post by Nickathome »

Dicktater wrote:
Wow, You should read that back to yourself (real slow) and just listen to how anal that sounds. It almost sounds like some redneck comparing white people to black people. Where are you from?

Disservice to these trucks?.....last time I bought parts for my Ole Yeller, I remember paying for the parts myself.

I saw post of your paint job, red oxide primer (obsolete for many years) and a cheap mopped on od green paint. A paint job that may last a couple years a best. You sir, are the one doing a disservice to that old piece of iron!!

Hmmm, cheap mopped on paint job!!!!! I don't think so........You sure you were looking at my truck? Hey, I'll be the first to admit that I am no painter, but I feel I did a better than average job painting my truck. Yes, it may only last a few years, then again it may last a decade. For someone who had never painted a vehicle before in his life, I think I did a pretty good job, and no I didn't "mop it on", I used a gravity feed spray gun outfit.

And I'll thank you for taking great personal offense at my comments. First off nobody directed them at you, but it must have hit a nerve that you took such offense at what I said to have decided to bust my balls and trash talk my paint job when you don't have a clue as to how I painted my truck. I guess at this point I have to defend myself since you were so quick to go for the jugular for no reason other than to portray yourself as some macho M37 owner. So now I have to come back with something so here goes......I think painting your truck canary yellow really sets it off, a nice one of a kind truck. RuPaul and her team of drag queens would feel right at home next to you in that thing.......You'd fit in real good at Rehoboth beach driving that fag magnet.

Oh BTW - who's the redneck there Sparky? Nice head hanky. Did you put that skull cap on before or after you blew your nose into it?

If you want to trade insults, I can keep going and trust me you won't win, so lets just let it go.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I, too, prefer OD but have no problem with any other color-I will say this: If mine were broken down on the side of the road and assistance pulled up in the form of another HMV, I'd gladly accept any and all help even if it were painted in a "flower power" paint scheme!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500