Trucks of non OD color

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Josh
SFC
SFC

Trucks of non OD color

Post by Josh »

Guys, if you have pictures of non OD trucks, post em up... I'm getting pretty close to paint time, and I still haven't made a pigment decision... :roll:

I was thinking satin black, but I was on www.dodgepowerwagon.com and there was a gorgeous 1954 civvy with black fenders and a bright red cab and bed that looked fantastic, which, of course got me thinking...
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Even though I would not paint my truck AF Strata Blue...in high gloss it is a nice color...maybe with the gloss black fenders that would be good. Kinda of a way to honor the military? Of course 24087 in gloss with black trim would look nice too and again would be a way of honoring the military history. Of USMC 24079 Forest green with black trim.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Puh-leez!! If you want to "honor the military," use a military paint scheme. Don't gussie it up with "pretty" contrasting trim. If you want a multi-toned paint job, stay away from the military colors. This is just a military "lifer's" opinion, but using contrasting colors on military paint is like a Gunnery Sergeant falling out for formation in a freakin' tutu!! It just isn't done!
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DJ »

" a Gunnery Sergeant falling out for formation in a freakin' tutu!! "

Isn't that called being under cover :wink:
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

With the current Obama changes for the military that may just happen.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Dicktater
CPL
CPL

Re: Trucks of non OD color

Post by Dicktater »

Josh wrote:Guys, if you have pictures of non OD trucks, post em up... I'm getting pretty close to paint time, and I still haven't made a pigment decision... :roll:

I was thinking satin black, but I was on www.dodgepowerwagon.com and there was a gorgeous 1954 civvy with black fenders and a bright red cab and bed that looked fantastic, which, of course got me thinking...
I'm glad I didn't go green....so boring! My truck turns heads where ever it goes. I had 2 gallon of Cat yellow in the shop ($20 bucks a gallon) and I struggled at the thought of using it,but I'm so glad I did.To me and everyone that has complimented my truck Cat yellow & Black go great together.

The paint on this truck is 10 years old and still looks great......

Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

That looks GREAT!! I LOVE IT!! :D
MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Post by MikeOneSix »

Dicktater
Nice to see that there is someone else out there that likes to fold the windshield down.

Josh
Not sure how many of the images from the big electric photo gallery are still up, but there used to be quite a few images of M37s painted in civi colors on there.

Matt
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Hey lifer..... pththththththththththt!!!!!!! :D
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

Lifer, If my memory is not failing me, wasn´t you the one talking about a pink camo M-37 in the past?

Is that what you mean with staying away of military colors on multitone paint jobs? :lol:

Shame on you, my friend. :oops:

I´ve been around this forum for a long time too. HaHaHaHa
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

PAINT/NON OD

Post by 8543bob »

LIFER, YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD. KEEP UP THE STREIGHT TALK. AS TO COLORS. I PAINTED MINE RUSTOEUM, FLAT BLACK. BUT I MUST ADMIT, I LIKE THE TWO TONE COMBOS. THAT YELLOW TRUCK IS A FINE EXAMPLE OF WHAT CAN BE DONE. DONT GET ME WRONG; THE OD TRUCKS ARE SMART LOOKING, IN FACT MY SONS WANTED ME TO GO THE MILITARY ROUTE. BUT I OPTED FOR THE FLAT BLACK, IT TURNS HEADS BUT, IM SURS NOT LIKE THE YELLOW TRUCK OR A MILITARY TRUCK, WHEN I DO IT AGAIN IT WILL BE TWO TONE.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Juan "nailed me to the cross" on the pink camo thing. :oops:

It started out with an idea on the old Big Electric forum for a toy M37 for GI Joe collectors. Remembering the joke about Barbie dolls and Ken vs GI Joe, I suggested that a toy M37 might go over well with Barbie doll collectors, but it would have to be in pink camo. Then, I did a little creative editing of someone's truck pic from the gallery and ended up with a very pretty M37 with a pink camo paint job, which I posted in the thread. The guys poked fun at me for a long time about that.

It looks like I still haven't lived that down! Thanks, Juan! ;)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Come over to the BLUE side.....

The color is darker than the pictures suggest. We haven't put the semi-gloss topcoat on yet.

Air Force FTW!!
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

Lifer wrote:It looks like I still haven't lived that down! Thanks, Juan! ;)
I just couldn't resist it, I've fighted the need to post that, but the need won over me, sorry. :lol:

Actually your pink camo M/37 was pretty indeed. FWIW.
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Non-OD

Post by Nickathome »

IMO you do a disservice to these fine trucks by NOT painting them OD. My truck gets plenty of looks WITH its OD paint scheme. To paint it another color was not even a consideration for me. To me each his own but don't expect us OD guys to approve of another color.