Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Rotella is a Diesel engine oil......

Post by Nickathome »

Guys ;

I thought you'd like to read this one. I was over on the G503 site on the Powerwagon forum, someone asked about what oil type people use in an M37. A few people responded with their brands and so I then responded and told them that after hearing alot of advice toward the use of Rotella, thats what I started using. Well some guy replies back simply with "Rotella is a diesel engine oil"! Well, maybe so, but its obviously not JUST for diesel engines as is evidenced by its use in 230 gas engines. I just thought it was kinda funny how this guy had to throw that out there.
tmbrwolf
PFC
PFC

Post by tmbrwolf »

Not just for the M37's I intend to use Rotella in my M38 Willys engine, basicly same as in the MB or GPW, I guess some folks are just clueless
:roll:
Ken
SFC USA (ret)
51 M37
52 M38
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Rotella....

Post by Nickathome »

Yeah I at first thought, "well maybe this guy knows something I don't" so I went out to the garage and checked the label on the jug just to see if what he said had some merit. Yes it does mention use in diesel engines but it says nothing about it NOT being able to be used for other applications. I'm sure had this man been onto something I would have read something like, "not intended for gasoline engines", etc but I didn't.

All I know is my engine showed an improvement in oil pressure and runs quieter now that I have the Rotella in it and that is what I am concerned with. I will continue to use it. I just wanted to share what I had read....
Carmen
PFC
PFC

Post by Carmen »

Nick

What wt does Rotella come in. I have a rebuilt engine - about 3 years old - and I have always used stright 30W oil in the engine. Is there that much of a difference? I am all for new ways to make my truck run better.

Carmen
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Rotella

Post by Nickathome »

I've only seen it in 15W-40, then again thats all I ever looked for so I am sure you could get it in other weights/viscosities.
TDF

Post by TDF »

Heck, since I'm currently running two diesels vehicles (car and truck), I've switched everything on the place to 15w-40 Rotella, Motorcycle, 4 wheeler, lawn mower, you name it. Sure makes it easier not having to stock a bunch of different oils.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Yes Rotella T, & Chevron DELO 400 is available in single grades as well as 15-40. You will likely have to go to a distributor to find the single grade products however.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
HOLZINGER
PVT
PVT

Re: Rotella

Post by HOLZINGER »

Nickathome wrote:I've only seen it in 15W-40, then again thats all I ever looked for so I am sure you could get it in other weights/viscosities.
The Rotella T 5W40 is their synthetic. I run it in my VW TDI (Turbocharged, Direct, Injection)

Yes it's a diesel :D

WalMart stocks it
John
NRA LIFE MEMBER
1954 M37 w/w
ChadNC
PVT
PVT

Post by ChadNC »

If you are in or near farm country, might try the ag supply type stores for the 30w Rotella - our local Napa carries it and I run it in the '49 Farmall Cub as well as the garden tractors.

10-4 on the Rotella synthetic - my wife's TDI has been running on it for 7 yrs and the oil analysis always looks good.
FWIW, Chad
1952 M37
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Rotella

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

HOLZINGER wrote:
Nickathome wrote:I've only seen it in 15W-40, then again thats all I ever looked for so I am sure you could get it in other weights/viscosities.
The Rotella T 5W40 is their synthetic. I run it in my VW TDI (Turbocharged, Direct, Injection)

Yes it's a diesel :D

WalMart stocks it
I believe there is a mix up here, Rotella T is available in a synthetic product. It's also available in the older petroleum oil based product that has been around for years. 2 TOTALLY different products.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

Rotella T 15W-40 is API CH/SJ rated wich means is as good as any engine oil rated as SJ. CH is the Compression ignition engine oil rating and SJ is the Spark Ignition engine oil rating. If you do a little research you will find at least 80% of the engine oils intended for gasoline engines are rated SJ.
Rotella T 5w-40 is the synthetic based oil down here in my country

For the record, IMHO, Chevron Delo 400 is the best oil for a diesel engine, another option would be Mobil 1.
I've used Rotella for a while in my 6.2 powered trucks, when Chevron didn't imported Delo 400 for cost reasons, and I can see a 10lbs difference in oil pressure after a long high speed run in the highway.
That's enough for me to turn back to Delo400 as soon as Chevron imported it again. Besides the longer interval between oil changes.
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Chevron DELO 400 is my favorite locally available oil also. We used it for years in our heavy equipment with outstanding results. DELO 400 & Rotella T at one time used the same additive package to blend with their products. Not sure if that is still true today.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

Charles,
What do you recommened for use in a stock M37? And should I use it in my M38 as well? She could use a little boost in oil pressure while she waits for her rebuild.
Thanks,
Gerry

53 M37
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

Gerry wrote:Charles,
What do you recommened for use in a stock M37? And should I use it in my M38 as well? She could use a little boost in oil pressure while she waits for her rebuild.
Thanks,
I would stick to Delo400 for all my fleet.
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Gerry wrote:Charles,
Thanks,
As far as an over the counter product, I'd recommend Chevron DELO 400 in the 15-40 grade. This is likely the best oil that is available at Wal-Mart.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com