Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

We Need A Diagnostics Post/Link

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Reading the post from Jacksauto regarding his M stumbling and dying it's obvious we need a general post or whatever you call it that stays at the top of the Technical Group list of posts that deals with Engine Diagnosis. I've been on this forum for 3 or 4 years now and there have lots, maybe dozens of questions from folks on how to figure out why their truck isn't running or running right. We should have a simple diagnostic tree for folks to look at that they can follow to figure out why their truck isn't running right. It's not that I or anyone minds repeating how to check for fuel or spark, but it saves time for anyone looking for that info, and sometimes the info you're looking for is buried in posts with different subjects than what is being searched for.

With all the collective knowledge on this forum I think it would be great to get everyone's ideas on the subject on one page or post that anyone could access easily. How much time did it take you to search for something and then read all the possible posts to find out how to do something.....like check for fuel or spark? Did you wonder if there was more/better info in posts you couldn't find?

What do you guys think, would this be a good permanent post to make or would it be better to have folks just search for the answers or keep posting similar questions?...........am I way off base here?

regards,
bob
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Re: We Need A Diagnostics Post/Link

Post by 52 M-42 »

I will certainly second Bob's motion for a Diagnostic Section. It is more specific than either a "Builders' Blog" which seems to be more modification & hot-rodding or Technical Forum which tends to be theory & minutia. A Diagnostic Forum would / could be more specific and real world.

Anyway, I think it would be a good place to collect all the articles having to do with non-routine and trouble-shooting maintenance issues.
PFC1952M37
PVT
PVT

We have a good start...

Post by PFC1952M37 »

I offended a a regular poster on one of these forums when I provided an image with the correct nomenclature and both the Chrysler and the Army part numbers. My intention was to help him get the part he needed without the risk of paying a scammer for an incorrect part. His reaction was, "We can't all wake up one morning and know everything." He went on to tell me he did not need or want my help.

At the bottom of each of my posts is "You must BUY the book if you want to go BY the book."

Flak jacket on... Taking cover under the desk...

TM-9-2320-2112-10, M37 Series OPERATOR'S MANUAL, together with TM-9-2320-212-20, 30 November 1973, supersedes TM 9-8030, 2 May 1955, including all changes. Working in the Motor Pool, we referred to these manuals as "-10" and "-20" using the last two digits in the manual's numbers. TM-9-2320-2112-10 is the latest guidance for us M37, M37B1, M43, M43B1, M201, and M201B1 owners and operators. TM-9-2320-212-20, is the authority and procedural guidance for performing most Second Echelon Maintenance.

Section III of the "-10" is a Trouble Shooting Guide for use by First Echelon personnel (drivers and assistant drivers.) It is here that the First Echelon personnel are authorized to change tires under the supervision of Second Echelon personnel.

Check out these references and see if they are not a good start.

Paul F. Cook

Assigned as the primary driver for M37B1, (8th Det 9) and the primary driver for M151 (8th Det 6) October 1953 to December 1954. The bumper markings do not comply with Army standard system. You will not be able to ID the unit.
You must BUY the book if you want to go BY the book.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I wish I could post pics on the forum. I have a most appropriate flow chart.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

So it appears we need a "TM9-G741" section with a table of contents!

My only concern would be amassing so many posts into this type of format-time consuming for sure but perhaps it can be done. Fellow Moderators, what's your respective take?

Thanks,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

I would be up for the challenge. My only concern is the amount of editing it would take to filter out chit chat and only leave pertinent information for everyone.

I think a locked thread as a sticky on top of the page, containing a TM section would be a great addition.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

My apologies for not thinking this thru enough. I didn't consider the editing task at all. Maybe in the title you can put something like INFORMATION ONLY - NO CHIT-CHAT! Maybe you could set it up like the ORD Table of Contents....Engine....Steering......Differnetials......etc. Just a suggestion.......I'll be quiet now and stop giving you guys more work to do! :shock:

thanks,
bob
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

You are lining yourself up for a lot of pain and frustration. You will be forever running around trying to get people to post in the correct areas. Managing stuff like this on the internet is like trying to direct a river with no riverbed. The water just runs all over. Do you all want to become frustrated librarians?

-jim lee
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

I'll try to get onto it later on today guys, I will be busy for most of the day but can hopefully get to it, I still have to get Bills Pics up and do a new Pic Posting instructional too...

Regards - MM :-)
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
PFC1952M37
PVT
PVT

On the other hand...

Post by PFC1952M37 »

My point was that we don't need ten or twenty posts to answer a question that is answered in the TM. Maintaining a Forum requires that someone pay out of their own pockets. My Kempner Power Wagon Museum site costs me about $100 a year. I get plenty of thanks when I see that some one who actually visited my Site refers some one to it.
You must BUY the book if you want to go BY the book.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

PFC,

Your point is well taken. The problem is many folks don't have the manuals, and first time buyers who just got their prize home want to get it running, not have to wait a week for a manual to show up in the mail. At some point everyone with an M should have the manuals, but this forum should stand to help those who don't. Plus there's tons of info people post that's not in those 40 year old manuals. Another issue is the manuals assume you have access to all the special tools and test equipment the Army had. Most folks simply don't have that stuff, so workarounds are required. Wisdom comes from experience..............and this forum has that in spades!

If it's too much trouble or becomes unmanageable it can be tanked. But it might just turn out to be one of the best things on this site.

regards,
bob
DCook
CPL
CPL

Post by DCook »

Since I am new to the site by a couple of years, I do not know ALL the pain you moderators have gone through. I do know MY HAT IS OFF TO EVERYONE OF YOU who have worked to make this site what it is! As with everything that is worth having, it takes a lot of care and feeding to raise it up properly. Sometimes guidance, and YES CORRECTION is in order for those of us who want to become valid site members. I agree with the value of a good Diagnostic Post. I have many years working the technical field. Now that I am about to retire, and having settling on my M37 as my Retirement Hobby, it is great to know this level of talent exists. This site is impressive, and continues to improve as it is. After reading the input the comes in, I know there are many talented people in here every day. I think the Diagnostic Post could include valuable information for all skill levels with a little thought toward its organization. Maybe issues could be identified by categories related to difficulty, required tooling, experience level, etc.
Thanks Guys!
MVPA Member #23780
1942 Chev. 1 1/2 Ton Dump Truck
1951 M37 W/W, & Field Radio
1958 Navy CJ3B
1967 M725 Ambulance
1987 M101A2 Trailer