Recoating those little wiring clips, ideas??

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Recoating those little wiring clips, ideas??

Post by ashyers »

For this weekends student free job I pulled the front harness and prepped the bed for pulling on Monday. Oh joy! I'm amazed the truck functioned at all!!!!! It was one giant short/fire waiting to happen. There was also the 2+ hour crud removal that I always end up doing when I'm down playing at the Shop. I'd be nowhere without a paint scraper, air gun, and shop vac. I figure in crud alone the truck has lost 200#.

On to my question. The harness is secured by a bunch of sheet metal clips that were at one time coated with a wire friendly material, it turned to porcelain long ago... I was thinking about pulling the clips and re-coating them. Any ideas what may work well? I remember there was some stuff you could dip tools into that would provide a nice handle. I also have some liquid electrical tape.

Thanks,
Andy
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Re: Recoating those little wiring clips, ideas??

Post by F18hornetm »

I suppose you could coat with a rubber coating or just buy new ones. This Co has great products although not cheap $$, but then not cheap products either. Here is a couple ideas.
I usually try to run wires in loom, then you can u just make or buy small metal clips.

http://terminalsupplyco.com/Store/Defau ... Categories

http://terminalsupplyco.com/Store/Defau ... Categories
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Ashyers,

Should be a simple job for your crew......you have lots of options......clean up and re-dip the ones you have, buy new, or go nuts and buy a few strips of thin stainless steel at Lowes or Home Depot in the width and thickness of the original clamps, cut to length (straighten out an old clamp to find this), drill a hole, bend around a small pipe, and dip in liquid electrical tape if you never want them to rust again. :mrgreen:

If you want to buy them they can be found everywhere from eBay to Radio Shack to Walmart to your local Hardware store.

regards,
bob

PS I hear ya about all the crud. My AF M has so much crud I gave up. It's that hard Virginia clay that even a pressure washer won't remove. It's gonna stay there until I do a total resto.....I find it actually preserves metal parts real good.........no oxygen, no rust. :D
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Because I'm not doing a restoration and as little as possible is being touched to avoid the "while I'm in there" syndrome and attendant wallet emptying, I just slipped heatshrink over them while in place and shrank it with the heat gun.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Yup....that works too! :mrgreen:

regards,
bob
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

heat shrink good for lots of things :D
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

I can relate to the "while I'm in there" syndrome. That defines the truck at this point and what happened to my Sunday afternoon today! I picked up some plati-dip stuff so we'll see how it works. A bit of sand blast, spray paint and a dip. I suspect the kids will enjoy the fumes :roll: .

Andy
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

just me wrote:Because I'm not doing a restoration and as little as possible is being touched to avoid the "while I'm in there" syndrome and attendant wallet emptying, I just slipped heatshrink over them while in place and shrank it with the heat gun.

I just had one of those "why didn't I think of that?"
I removed all of mine, re-curved them, sand blasted, primed and painted, then dipped them
in the tool handle dip..... several times to get good thickness.
Very labor intensive. Heat shrink or liquid tape would have saved me hours.
Jerry
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.