My truck is home.

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

just me
1SG
1SG

My truck is home.

Post by just me »

Got the new to me '53 home last night. Drove it on the trailer and off at the house. Once around the block and then parked it for the night.
Spent the entire day today doing an inventory of what is good and what is not good on the truck.
until I can make an entire new wiring harness for the truck, it isn't going to move again.
All of the mechanical and bodywork is very minor on the truck I'm very happy with the condition of the vehicle so far.
whoever manufactured the homemade artic top on this truck did an absolutely gorgeous job.
Every scrap pf previous owner wiring isnow in he trash. The electric wipers are off.
The original harness is bad beyond any salvage. Maybe too bad to even make a nail board with to duplicate.
while I ponder the harness, I'll start by replacing the pigtails on all 7 lamp housings, adjusting brakes and changing every fluid.
It is a winch truck, but I think it is gonna be for show for a while. The clutch doesn't operate on it so I am sure there are some internal issues. It will be the last thing I attempt to do the mechanical repair to.
After a day of ownership, the restore or not decision has been made. I'm just going to do the needed mechanical/electrical to keep it driving. It just looks too good with its patina.
One item I would love to get my hands on is an NOS trans cover and shift lever. If I can't lay hands on one reasonably, I can repair the one I have. Just lazy.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: My truck is home.

Post by w30bob »

Hi just me,

Congrats on the new ride. Now get some pics up so we can see the patina too!!
NOS trans covers pop up on Ebay every now and then, but with shipping they're not cheap. Then again I don't know what you consider cheap. For shift levers put a post in the Swap Meet section..........I'm sure someone has more than one they don't need in they're stash . :)

Wiring is a different story. If you've got a grand burning a hole in your pocket just call Vintage Wiring of Maine and they'll make you up all the harnesses and modify them for directionals, heater, etc. If that's not your style you can still find NOS front and rear harnesses around, but don't plan on using them....usually the rubber insulation is dried and cracking.........or will do so soon. But they make great patterns for a new harness, and you can reuse all the Douglas connectors.

Best of luck with your new toy......we can't wait to see her!

regards,
bob
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Not able to pist pics here. Hardware issues. There is one on the m37 group on farcebook.
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Here.. This the one?

-jim lee
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

That's a very nice truck! Congratulation on scoring that truck.

What are your plans for it?
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Nice, Congratulations.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

My plans are to completely rewire it. Do whatever maintenance needs to be done. Remove the electric wipers and put the vacuum wipers back on and drive it.
then, when I can get the parts, repair the winch. The truck is too cool to restore. They are only original once, so very little of what is missing will get replaced. All 'field modifications' will be left intact. I will, most likely replace the glass as it is just plate glass, replace the rubber seals and add seat belts.
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Sounds like a plan. I recently completed a complete custom re-wire of my Brothers M37 as well as some general maintenance. Took me about 90 hrs to do the wiring, tune-up and brakes, with about 60% of that time in the re-wire.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DJ »

I agree ,don't paint it,the "patina" loks good!