Tires for my 37

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Tires for my 37

Post by MarkPick »

Oh guys need some help. I have a line on some 265 75r 16's, I know the subject has been beat to death but, will these fit on the standard bud 16" rims? I know I will have to get radial tubes and flaps. Are they close to the 9.00 X 16's in compairsion?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Re: Tires for my 37

Post by ZGjethro »

I run that size tire on my 4runner, and they are about 32" in diameter. You want something 36-37" diameter to be near the correct size. go bigger
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

They will be short, for sure, stock 900-16's were I think new around 35" (~230/105R16). As for the rim size, there are very few modern tired deigned for the narrow rim on these truck.

http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/tires.htm
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos5.htm
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

Yep gonna be a little short. thanks for the help. Still, cant pass on the price, I will put them to use on our plow truck at work. The quest continues for tires.

Thanks again guys!

Mark
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
Tanner
SGT
SGT

Post by Tanner »

Try looking for STA Superlug tires in 900x16 size - the military was installing these tires on M101 trailers with M37 Budd rims for past few years - I've bought 4 take-off trailer tires mounted on rims in order to get good tires. Others have bought surplus M101/M101A1 trailers at auction just for the mounted trailer tires...

'Tanner'
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Wallace Wade in Texas has the STA 9.00x16s.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

The closest in size is a 315-75/R16. These are the same money new if not more than a 9.00 x 16 NDT or supertraction. I spent two months trying to hunt down tires for the trailer. All of the used 315's I came across went for what a nearly new 9.00 x16 did. I went with the STA's from Wade Wallace.
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Tanner
SGT
SGT

Post by Tanner »

STA - Specialty Tires of America - is based in PA... close to Ohio - http://www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/superlug.html

Speedway Motors still lists availability on the STA Superlugs as well. Just another option... they're through Coker.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Depa ... s=Rank|Asc
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

Thanks guys, I think I am gonna go with the STA's, there is a distributor here in Cincinnati. Now I just have to jack the beast up and put it on stands and run the tires over to the store. I dont trust the tires for the 20 miles I would have to drive it. Thanks again for everyone who posted and helped me out. I was gonna go with Wade but I figured by the time I paid for shipping it may be way outside of my budget.

Mark
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
indybaird
PVT
PVT

Post by indybaird »

I'm from Seymour IN and would like to know how your tire deal works out as I need to replace all of mine and am willing to drive to get the job done. Thanks.
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

Ok, I thought I would call Wallace Wade just to make sure I had it zeroed in on the cost. Believe it or not they beat the local guy by $300. Tires, tubes and flaps shipped for less than the local guy. For that cost I believe I will change them our myself. I had lots of experience growing up on the farm with split rims. From experience, chain em up, face em down put air to em till you hear em pop. Let the air out flip them over and air them again.

SO here in a couple of days I will be calling Wade again to get everything moving towards Cinci. Who ever thought buying a set of tires would be such a pain! For those looking for tires I am putting Wade's link on here for ya.

http://www.wallacewade.com/

Give them a call I spoke with Charles.

More to follow.

Mark
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
Tanner
SGT
SGT

Post by Tanner »

Here's some tires for you... Buy It Now for $2500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michelin-11-00- ... ts&vxp=mtr

'Tanner'
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Post by WarrenD »

I got my STA NDTs from Wallace Wade a few months ago. I had them shipped to a local tire store (saved 50% of the cost of shipping them to my house) and ended up paying about $100 to have them put on, which included taking the old ones off and disposal. In the end, I paid about what I would have to have them shipped home and then do the work. Dollars, the same, me not changing tires? Priceless!!
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

Thanks Tanner. 2500 is a bit steep for me. Not that there not worth it and I know they would look sharp on the beast but..............

Warren, I know what you mean about having someone else change them. That would be nice. I have never gotten comfortable with split rings.

Thanks again guys for all the input and advice.
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

I got a set of STA Superlugs for my truck and trailer. They are great road tires but a bit harder to steer (turn) than my set of NDT's. They do look like they will last longer though and I hope they are better on wet roads, which we have often around here.

I'm saving my NDT's for static displays. They seem to wear out in about 6 to 9 months on asphalt around here. :cry:

52 M-42