battery chargers

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cav Trooper
SGT
SGT

battery chargers

Post by Cav Trooper »

I've done a search here on 24v battery chargers on here and haven't found any information. What type of battery chargers can be used for maintenance charging over the winter? I've seen all kinds of chargers on ebay etc but would like some information from someone who has experience.

Thanks,

Cav Trooper
HHT 2nd ACR
Merrell Barracks, Nuremberg, Ger.
1967/68
71st AHC, 14th AHB, Americal Div.
Chu-Lai, S. VietNam
Cav Trooper
Longhunter7
PFC
PFC

Re: battery chargers

Post by Longhunter7 »

I've been using a Chargetek 500 for about seven years with great results. It's water proof, 24 volt with two sets of leads for hooking up to two 12 volt batteries, reverse polarity protection, ignition protected, and vibration resistant.

It's small, about the size of a half a house brick, and easily mounted in any position. It keeps a float charge equally on both batteries but it isn't just a trickle charger. It will kick in and bring the charge back up and then maintain an equal float charge. Try http://www.chargetek.com :arrow:
Longhunter7

Northern Illinois

63' Dodge M37-B1

Molon Lave

NRA Certified Weaponologist
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

Cav. I have been using those cheesy Harbor Freight Float Chargers. So far I have been using them for 2 years and have had no problems. I disconnect the Series battery cable from the 2 battery's and hook up the chargers.

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

Post by 8543bob »

GOOD MORNING SAL,
I LIVED AND CRUISED ON A BOAT FOR 8 YEARS THAT HAD A 24V STARTING SYSTEM. I FOUND A 24V BATTERY CHARGER IN BOATS AND HARBOR. ITS A COMMERCIAL NEWS PAPER THAT COMES OUT THREE TIMES A MONTH. LOTS OF STUFF ON THE PAGES. YOU MIGHT FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THERE. I'LL SEE IF I CAN COME UP WITH THE WEB SITE.
BOB
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

I've been using this one for the past year with great results, we have to disconnect the series wiring and wire the batteries in parallel, but it will do both at once.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200332201
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
jbxx
SGT
SGT

Post by jbxx »

See : http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/24-volt/
I also use the Chargetek 500.
Very happy with it so far
J.B.
Longhunter7
PFC
PFC

Post by Longhunter7 »

One of the best features of the Chargetek 500, is once it is wired in, (very easy to do), it can be permantely mounted. The fact that it's waterproof allows it to be used in our leaky top military vehicles or even completely out in the open.

I have mine mounted right on the front of the battery box, with the leads routed inside to the two 12 volt batteries. I keep the charger plugged in all the time when not driving my Dodge. I've used it for two years on an M35-A2C, sold it, and have been using it for almost six years on my M37-B2.

If it ever goes south on me, I'll replace it in a heartbeat! :arrow:
Longhunter7

Northern Illinois

63' Dodge M37-B1

Molon Lave

NRA Certified Weaponologist