Any upgraded rear axle shafts?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

06boblee
SFC
SFC

Any upgraded rear axle shafts?

Post by 06boblee »

In the past there have been offerings from various sources, is there anything available now?
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
Frank Irons
PVT
PVT

Re: Any upgraded rear axle shafts?

Post by Frank Irons »

Not that I know of. You could contact Moser or Strange and have a custom set made.

Frank
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Foote axle and gear is forging new shafts - or at least they were that last time I checked earlier this year... Just google the name and it'll come up...
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

I was looking at an old copy of Vintage Power Wagons Catalog 07/08 and seen a listing for New M-37 Rear Axles made out of 4340 steel. Is this what your looking for 06boblee ?

Sal :mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
Frank Irons
PVT
PVT

Post by Frank Irons »

06boblee wrote:In the past there have been offerings from various sources, is there anything available now?
Veteran Vehicles lists new heavier and stronger m37 rear axles in his catalog.
NorthWind

Post by NorthWind »

Are the rear axles more pron to breaking than the front axles? On my truck both front sides show the results of breakage. Lots of scar tissue inside the knuckles. Spent some time making that look nicer, probably not necessary thou.

Paul
Wasilla, Alaska
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

NorthWind wrote:Are the rear axles more pron to breaking than the front axles? On my truck both front sides show the results of breakage. Lots of scar tissue inside the knuckles. Spent some time making that look nicer, probably not necessary thou.

Paul
Wasilla, Alaska
I would say "maybe". The determining factors are primarily how hard the truck is driven. The rear axles are under power all the time - so conceivably they would would suffer more wear just due to the constant application of power. The front, while always turning, isn't always under a driven load, thus it should last longer. The weak point in the front is still the steering joint however, followed again by the coarse spline shafts. The rear weak point seems to be primarily at the splines of the axle shaft.

A heavy right foot, aggressive driving style, big tires and rough terrain will eat axles for sure. Lock out hubs on the front will help the frontend to last longer, and slow down the wear, and upgrading to a locking diff, the ARB being the prefered one, will ensure that power is transmitted equally through both axle shafts at the same time, and not shock load one or the other (while at play :wink: )

The stock shafts are 1.37" inches in diameter - Larger than a Dana 44 at 1.19", yet smaller than a Dana 60 at 1.5". I belive it was Moser that had forged a few new sets recently on a per order basis. This would probably be the best way to go, as they could forge them from stronger than stock alloy's and possibly design them with a conventional style Ujoint instead of the tracta-joint.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

Has any one installed any of these upgraded rear axles in there fully stock trucks ?

Sal :mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

I have Foote Axles inthe rear of my M37, I've also installed an ARB lockers (front and rear). I've broken one Foote rear Short (Passenger Side) axle. Not sure why, it looks to have been a bad axle, but no warranty and likely a one time issue.

Now I will tell you I "use" my truck for fun, and enjoy the off-roading challenges. I've also broken (grenaded) a front Tracta Joint as well, and hopefully don't have another one going.

I love the stock axle housing and the looks it gives the trucks, but if I continue to "use" (and abuse) the truck will retire it to just simple clean fun and hopefully build a more serious off-road rig.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site