Centered differential rear axle?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

06boblee
SFC
SFC

Centered differential rear axle?

Post by 06boblee »

I have heard that the '44-'45 3/4 ton military axle will fit , does anyone have any info on this? I want to keep the same rear hubs, just get an axle with a centered diff.
Thanks
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

It's a tad wider, you will have to relocate the spring perches and the shock mounts. Other than that it's doable.
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
achiem37
PFC
PFC

centered rear axle

Post by achiem37 »

check out this from the power wagon forum..
http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/wwwboard ... 20458.html

the advantages would a cooler and quieter running t case when you drive it from the e brake output shaft. My power wagon does this and it makes a lot quieter ride. There is a conversion from the heli tool website showing the ww2 drive yoke that will work with the power wagon drive shaft. since the m 37 shaft is different you could make an adaptor or find a power wagon rear driveshaft and make the length fit. The ww2 axle housing is wider than the m37 axle housing but is the same width of a power wagon axle housing. These later two are interchangable. You could flip the m37 over , cut off the spring perches and weld them back on after setting up the pinion angle again. use a stick welder to weld on the perches but only weld in small amounts and let the housing cool between welds. Terry
ELBUFO
PFC
PFC

Flip this??

Post by ELBUFO »

Ok guy's, I have not yet become one with my "M", but my experience with spicer dana rear ends is that there is a channel at the bottom of the pinion that directs oil flow off the ring gear through the pinion bearings. If the M's differential housing is set up the same way your asking for bearing failure if you flip the axle. My manuals haven't come in yet so I am shooting from the hip here, so look before you leap. As far as welding new perches... No sweat done a number of them.