Well this is just great...

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Oil burner, or twin turbo, twincharged moster?

oil burner
40%
V8 beast
60%

Total votes: 20

Josh
SFC
SFC

Well this is just great...

Post by Josh »

so, I peruse craigslist frequently, looking for deals and such, and, ran across a Detroit 3-53 for $550 bucks. :shock: says its a good runner, still in the frame, comes with a 4 speed behind it.

I could pick that up for the rig, and definitely get it finished before the end of summer... I LOVE the sound of a nasty little detroit. No idea of it is turbo or naturally aspirated, but, boosting them isnt that difficult, and, I could use one of the HX35's I have for the V8 easy enough.

The beauty of a detroit is that it is retarded simple to work on, and, NO WIRING!!! :D

So, question is gents, in the words of our former famous fearless leader, do i "stay the course" or, go pick up the Detroit?
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

So Josh,
Would this Detroit be instead of the Big Block?
Tim
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I voted to "stay the course" simply because you've already got so much wrapped up in it in terms of design, fabrication of parts and mounts, and (probably) money. Personally, I would favor a rebuilt stock T245, but considering what you have done already, it would be a shame to quit now.

If you can afford it, go ahead and buy the smudge pot and store it for a future project.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I voted stay the course for two reason. 1. I want to see if that beast will even run or will in go kaboom when you turn the key and I want to see video of that. and 2. I think you should pick up the detroit and sell it to me at your cost....(have to figure shipping and all).... so I can get a diesel in my M37B3 project.... :D
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

My next project will be a Bobbed Deuce with a 6V53 detroit. :D

I'll most likely keep the current V8. As you said Life, I;ve got a TON of time, and a fair amount of cash into it. I might pick the screamin Jimmy up and set it in the corner for a rainy day though.
98taco3
CPL
CPL

Post by 98taco3 »

there could always be some backwoods hillbillery to be done with it. break the fuel racks full open, remote start, sit back for the fireworks..... 8)
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

Hey Josh I love following your radical build. Keeps me dreamin' about building another truck and it won't be a stocker. :lol:
If you can, why not buy the engine and keep it in reserve for the NEXT monster!!

Kind of "Have your cake and eat it too!!" :D :D

BUT if you have to choose, stay with the current project.
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

I didn't cast a vote, that is simply your call.

As a former operator of Detroits many years ago, and knowing if it ain't leaking oil, you best be pouring some in, they were never my favorites. The fact they have to be near the top of RPM's to really put out, are insanely LOUD, and weigh a lot for a relatively low output engine. A few folks still think there is nothing like them, they are correct in that thought, any number of better diesel options exist today. This is just my personal opinion, in no way meant to offend anyone, to each his own for sure. If I got a call from a client wanting to install one, I'd be right on it.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Stay the course, but stick the detroit in the corner... 8)

Unless you want to drive your truck this summer... :D
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

It MIGHT make it this summer, all boils down to how much $$ I want to spend on the body, and right now, a satin black job like what Mokey bone has not only looks cool, but, it is the most affordable as well at $25 a gallon... :wink:
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Josh wrote:It MIGHT make it this summer, all boils down to how much $$ I want to spend on the body, and right now, a satin black job like what Mokey bone has not only looks cool, but, it is the most affordable as well at $25 a gallon... :wink:
In that case, follow the words of a famous Comedian - "Git-er-done!"
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
CREEPING DEATH
PFC
PFC

Post by CREEPING DEATH »

3-53N backed by a Spicer 3053 works rather well, if PoW/DG was around he could tell you all about it.

CD
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

MY VOTE GOES TO THE V8. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST THE DD, SINCE I NEVER HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS KIND OF ENGINE. HOWEVER, THE V8 YOU ARE ABOUT TO FINISH, IS GOING TO BE THE MOST MONSTEROUS ENGINE EVER PUT IN A VEHICLE LIKE OURS. SO IF I WAS YOU I WOULD BE PROUD TO HAVE THE MOST POWERFUL M37 EVER WORLDWIDE. AND REGARDING HOW THE DD DOES NOT REQUIRE ANY WIRING, COME ON MAN!!! GIVE US A BREAK. THIS SHOULD BE A CONCERN TO SOME OF US THAT PERHAPS DO NOT KNOW WHICH WIRE DOES WHAT. BUT FOR YOU THIS SHOULD BE AN ADDITIONAL HOUR'S WORK AT THE MOST. YOU HAVE CONCIVED AND FABRICATED PARTS FROM SCRATCH THAT NOT ONLY FIT, BUT ARE BY FAR BETTER SUITED THAN WHAT THE INDUSTRY IS PUTTING OUT AS "MASTERPIECES". SO V8 TWIN TURBO IF YOU ASK ME, AND I CAN NOT WAIT TO HEAR THE WHISTLING OF THOSE TWO "WINDMILLS" :D
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
outsider
PFC
PFC

Post by outsider »

A Detroit Diesel is the only engine listed in the Bible.....In Revelations, under screaming pestilence! :lol:

In all honesty a 3-53 is only about 80HP (Don't have my books in front of me right now) and is very tall. So I think you would be under powered, and you probably won't be able to close the hood.

BTW if you are going to repower a duce then you should go 6V92TTA or 8V92TTA for the extra HP. Not sure if the stock tranny would take the 8 though.

Steve