tire size?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Josh
SFC
SFC

tire size?

Post by Josh »

Anyone ever mount a set of 46" michelins on the M?

I know 42 will fit, and look a little oversized, but still good. Just curious if 46's will, and if it has the that stupid "monster truck" look when they are on there...
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

I know a set of 44's will fit. Mine are on H1 wheels and you can see the hub in the picture still needs to go up about another inch. Thats the stock suspension.

The tires measure out around 43" tall and 18.5" wide. A 46 would only add 1.5" of diameter all the way around so I would assume they would fit. My plans call for using a 1.5" wheel spacer on my SRW D60 front to match the orriginal track width (approx.) This should allow me to have a decent turning radius w/o too much tire sticking out.

Hope this helps.
Ray
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

nice rig Ray! What tires are those? They look VERY similar to my 34" Power kings, which, I love, but are too small in diameter.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Those tires are the Ground Hog, by Denman. Those are the largest size they make at 44x18.5x16.5. They do offer smaller sizes though, in both radial and bias versions. You can check them on Interco tires website:
http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=4&g=1 where they have a total breakdown of each tire - ie. tread depth, diameter, revs. per mile, load capacity... etc...

I got pretty luck when I scored this truck. I probably overpaid a little, but it was complete and in good shape. The only thing that frosted me was about 2 months later in the local Bargin Finder was 2 rigs (M37 and an M43) for sale for half the price. Oh well, a good deal for somebody else. The wife won't let me have all three at the same time. She was worried about the space/time commitment schedule or something... :roll:
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Ray, to compare, here are my Power Kings:

And, 16.5" dodge rims are stone cold simple to find! I might have just found a new favorite tire! thanks! :D
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

39.5" just clear my M

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

I'm not sure how a set of 42" just fit, as my 39.5" clear the front fenders by less than an inch, and I have 1" of extra leafs to get that clearance. In the rear, the inside of the tire rubs the bed fenders. My tires are mounted such that the center line is outboard by about 1/4" further than stock.

Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

I'm fairly certain I will have issues with the rear fenders and clearance between the outer fender lip and the tire. I just haven't got far enough to form a solution yet. I'll solve that issue when I get around to mounting my new rear end. Also in my pics the wheels are spaced out the depth of the wheel studs still so there is still room for the tire to move inward another 1.25" or so...

Will - those pictures are sweet!

Josh - The tires do appear to share some design similarities. If your considering new tires, I would look for a 16" wheel over the 16.5 - the 15,16,17" wheels all have better tire bead retention than the 16.5's. I went with them as my H1 wheels have an inner beadlock to keep the tire bead from blowing off at reduced pressure.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Master Yoda,

Here is a rear fender solution I now employ after beating mine off tree's: A peice of grain elevator/conveyor belting.

Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
m37_power
CPL
CPL

Post by m37_power »

man i love that truck W_A_Watson_II
1952 Dodge M37
monkeybone
PVT
PVT

Post by monkeybone »

42 tsl's 2 inch lift trimmed back fenders
success comes in cans not can'ts
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

I've used belting in the past and found it to work very well. Something I've used lately is sheets of UMHW (commonly found in ice rinks and used as puckboard) It comes in a variety of colours and is virtually unbreakable.

Nice pictures as well. Its refreshing to see an M37 thats not OD on NDTs. Although I'm not a huge fan of the air cleaners sticking through the hood. But thats just me. I do like the dark colour though...
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

I love the flat black as well... cheap, easy to spray, no need to go wild on body work, ad, it looks just plain nasty! I most liekly will shoot mine in that as well.
monkeybone
PVT
PVT

Post by monkeybone »

its actually dupli-color bed liner...sprayed with a gun very light texture and applied more paint like than a heavy thick coat like a regular bed liner.....flat black leaves finger prints when you touch it and fades to grey pretty quick....it was sprayed 4 years ago and still looks great
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

you sir, are my hero.

Do you happen to remember what you cut it with, and what ratios?
monkeybone
PVT
PVT

Post by monkeybone »

lacquer thinner, depends on gun and tip size ,once its dry you can't second coat it ,so spray in sections so once it flashes you can do a second coat....they say to use their special gun .... i didnt like the texture it gave me ....experiment on some scrap til you're happy