Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

New Here

Post by MikeOneSix »

Hello!
I've had this site book marked for quite some time and now I'm actually a member. I currently own an M37 and a ferret MK1/2.
Although it's not my first M37, it is the first one that I plan on doing a full resto on. I've already done (and sold :( ) a '44 WC51, '43 WC62 and a '67 M151A1.

I've owned mostly Dodges and Mutts over the years and although I like them all (MVs) with the Dodge, I feel as if I'm "Home" if that makes any sence. Looking forward to A: getting to know my fellow dodge owners and B: tearing into my current resto project.

Regards,
Matt
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Captnsim
SGT
SGT

Post by Captnsim »

Hello again Matt! :D

Any pics of the Ferret? I always wanted one of those. They look mean as all heck.

Looking forward to seeing your truck as well.
Montanaorbust
PFC
PFC

Post by Montanaorbust »

Fresh meat!!! JK.. Well during the duration of your overhaul, chances are i will not be able to help you with any technican problems. But would like to tune in to your updates, if you were so incline to keep us posted.
MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Post by MikeOneSix »

Captnsim wrote:Hello again Matt! :D

Any pics of the Ferret? I always wanted one of those. They look mean as all heck.

Looking forward to seeing your truck as well.
Captnsim
Currently my ferret is a stripped hull (doing a complete resto on that too 8) ) I've been documenting the work as I go along. I'll see what I can dig out and try to post images of. I'm a bit of a "computer caveman" when it comes to some of this stuff.. :?

Matt
Captnsim
SGT
SGT

Post by Captnsim »

:shock: Gritty pics of all the hidden places you can only see during tear down are my favorite. :o

If you have any issues posting pics just let us know and we'll help you through it. Or if all else fails one of us will post them for you. :wink:
MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Post by MikeOneSix »

Montanaorbust wrote:Fresh meat!!! JK.. Well during the duration of your overhaul, chances are i will not be able to help you with any technican problems. But would like to tune in to your updates, if you were so incline to keep us posted.
Sometimes moral support or just a friendly word posted is more important than technical help. I'll try to keep the board up to speed with what's going on for those interested.

My truck is currently sitting in a rental storage unit (keeping it out of the weather) as my garage is full of ferret bits. I put it (M37) up on jack stands and pulled the tire/rims off. Once the tires are removed, I'll take the rims over to the blasters and get them cleaned up and primed.

Not sure what I want to paint my Dodge as it sits, it is a combo of rust and faded red paint (X-Fire Dept. brush truck) The two colors I was thinking about where either Army Jeep Part's www.armyjeepparts.comLate WW II/ early 50's SG OD or strata blue. Problem with SB, is that there is another ferret owner not far from me who's also doing an M37 and he's doing his in strata blue.

Matt
Captnsim
SGT
SGT

Post by Captnsim »

Two SB trucks...Sounds like the makings of a convoy... 8)
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Don't let someone else's project stop you from doing as you wish with your own project, Matt. If we had a neighbor with a 24087 painted M37 and decided as a result that we couldn't paint ours the same color, there are a whole bunch of us who would have different colored trucks, mods, etc. It's your project-do it your way and make sure it is done with "Safety First".

Again, welcome aboard!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Welcome MikeOneSix

Post by m-37Bruce »

MikeOneSix wrote:
Montanaorbust wrote:Fresh meat!!! JK.. Well during the duration of your overhaul, chances are i will not be able to help you with any technican problems. But would like to tune in to your updates, if you were so incline to keep us posted.
Sometimes moral support or just a friendly word posted is more important than technical help. I'll try to keep the board up to speed with what's going on for those interested.

My truck is currently sitting in a rental storage unit (keeping it out of the weather) as my garage is full of ferret bits. I put it (M37) up on jack stands and pulled the tire/rims off. Once the tires are removed, I'll take the rims over to the blasters and get them cleaned up and primed.

Not sure what I want to paint my Dodge as it sits, it is a combo of rust and faded red paint (X-Fire Dept. brush truck) The two colors I was thinking about where either Army Jeep Part's www.armyjeepparts.comLate WW II/ early 50's SG OD or strata blue. Problem with SB, is that there is another ferret owner not far from me who's also doing an M37 and he's doing his in strata blue.

Matt
Like everyone has said, it's your rig, Stratus Blue, early/late, AJP has you covered w/all the choices by Gilespie Coatings! I'm a couple o' few hours below your twenty, just west of Richmond.
Are you a member of the Intermont Chapter?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

My own preference would be Strata Blue! :)

I'm a retired wing-nut, though, so my preference could be a tad biased. ;)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Welcome Matt!

My current project is a '53 Air Force M37 and it's already got some fresh Strata Blue on some of it.

I say the more the merrier! You don't see many SB trucks around.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Welcome aboard Matt. This is a great forum for "moral" support as well as tech advice. Chances are if you encounter it, somebody has been through it already 8) The crew here kept me going through my frame off resto when I was going to throw in the towel several times. :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

blue

Post by DAP »

Mine is blue but not strata blue - my wife picked the color. I am happy and she is happy! However the blue is pretty close to strata blue so ................. I claim, a blind man riding by on a run away horse would never be able to tell the difference from 200 feet on a moonless night - - an neither can most people. see my profile picture. I have since added AF markings with stars plus a sbtle black jumping panther since I am near Charlotte -home of the cardiac cats (Panthers). I have day dreamed at times it would be fun to drive my truck out on the football field with the team loaded in the back hahahahaha and say this is from Dodges 2010 new line of trucks
MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Post by MikeOneSix »

Guys
Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words :) .

As for the SB vs OD issue, I just like to be different that's all. With the fellow near by doing his M37 in SB and also owning a ferret I didn't want to appear to be copying him. I may still paint my Dodge SB as I've painted Dodges in #319 and 24087 so the SB would be a welcome change.

What I really need is about 8 M37s so this way I could paint one in Army early, Army late, USMC F.G, NAVY gray and USAF strata blue. ......Or am I going overboard? :wink:

Cal_Gary
Thanks for the support and good advice (safety first) It is real easy to get hurt in this hobby!

Dap
I've seen your rig before (on the big electric forum?) and it is a great example that these trucks can be painted colors other than OD and still look really sharp!

M-37Bruce
I've heard of that group but as of yet, I'm not a member of any group.

HingsingM37
That's good to know as I'll probably have lot's of questions when I dive into this project.

refit1701 & Lifer

Seems like there is a lot of support for SB M37s on this site. It would be kind of cool to see all the MVers who've painted up their beloved beasts in SB put a convoy together and go somewhere like the USAF museum in Ohio.
Matt
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

No offense to anyone who paints theirs OD but you have to be really committed to do SB. You can put on OD with a wet cat and it still looks ok, SB requires attention to detail.

I support your idea of a truck for each color! That would be a cool magazine cover.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box