Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

refit1701
1SG
1SG

Dixie Division Fall show pics

Post by refit1701 »

Hi Guys,

I got back Saturday from the fall Dixie Division show held at Tannehill State Park in Bucksville Alabama. We had a great turn out and a lot of fun. It was a bit cool at night but that made from great "round the campfire" story telling.

The following link is to my gallery of photos of Rob Young's exquisitely restored M37. I took well over 200 detail shots of it. I have not uploaded all the images yet but will get it done soon. If you want to skip to the wide shots, use the navigation buttons to go to page 5 and you can see how good this truck looks. I believe Rob got this truck from Midwest Military and it was restored by another gentleman, who's name I didn't get when I was talking to Rob. I'm sure someone will know.

http://apollosaturn.smugmug.com/gallery ... 5193_5CaGx

Here is the link to the gallery with the jeeps, duces, etc.....

http://apollosaturn.smugmug.com/gallery ... 8147_jQqXq

I will also upload a gallery of photos of all the other trucks and jeeps shortly, and will post when I get those up. The full size 10 megapixel images are there so download what you want to save!!
Last edited by refit1701 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

Well I thought mine was nice.............................SON of a BITCH!!!
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

In the car show world of Mustangs and Cameros, this one would be a "concours" restoration.

I laid under the truck for quite a while, marveling at the cleanliness and details. Under the hood is a dream.
-John

1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Many Pic'ys

Post by m-37Bruce »

Hey John, Weren't you embarrassed layin' on the ground taking all of those pic'ys?
BTW, She do look good! 8)
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

It's not done yet! He still has to paint the bolt heads/washers and put thye military markings on it. Then, he needs to get a top, bed sides, troop seats, and rear canvas for it. I think he'll be playing with it for a little while, yet. ;)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

I updated the original post with the url of the second gallery with jeeps and stuff in it.

Rob says he was going for an "as delivered" look and the guy who did the work says that some of the trucks were delivered with unpainted cadmium plated bolts. The canvas top as well as any other things which might have been missing were in bubble wrap in the bed. He just got it back in July and it stays in one of his garages. I seriously doubt he will ever paint the bolt heads.

He has a very nice running '37 which is almost identical and he uses that for things which might get dirt on the new one.

I did have a audience at one point, while laying underneath it. In the regular show gallery, there's an upside down pic of two ladies (Lamar's wife Jewel and Johnny Lawrence's wife) who mistook me for David Doyle. He was shooting pics also but not scrubbing around in the wet grass to do it.

Good times, good times.
-John

1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Driver's Seat ?

Post by m-37Bruce »

Morning John,
What's up w/ the drivers seat, why is it in the bed? As delivered, cool concept!
:oops:
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
NCmountainman
PFC
PFC

Post by NCmountainman »

John, Thanks for sharing the pictures. Lot of nice looking MV's. Maybe someday I'll get to take mine down there.
Ed Bennett
MVPA #31853
1951 Dodge M37 G741
1983 Jeep CJ5
1942 Chev G506 (SOLD)
Nothing is Fool Proof to a suffeciently talented fool.
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Re: Driver's Seat ?

Post by refit1701 »

m-37Bruce wrote:Morning John,
What's up w/ the drivers seat, why is it in the bed? As delivered, cool concept!
He has a special drivers seat which is fitted to the truck now. He's taller than I am...probably 6'5" or so, and the regular drivers seat doesn't leave him enough room to push the pedals!!

I think the cushions are about half the thickness of stock ones.
-John

1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
amanco
PVT
PVT

Post by amanco »

Just remember, that 100 point "concours" restoration is up to the interpretation of a judge. My truck will never achieve that level of restoration nor do I want it to. That truck will never be driven to town to pick up a jug of oil and filter. It is a great (I can't emphasize that word enough) example for those of us who want to do things the right way, but way over restored. I like to think of my truck as the way it was "In Country". Nothing overly nice about it and I'm not afraid of driving it. People who see my truck are in awe of it because they have never seen one before and the Vets who see my truck and remember them talk about them with fond memories.
Thanks for the photos and the time spent taking them. You did a great job with the detail shots. It is great to know an example like this exist for posterity.
Keith
1989-94 USN Active Duty Seabees
1953 M37 W/W
1946 cj2a project
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Thanks for the kind words from yourself and the others. I love photographing things, my forte is rockets and spacecraft, but trucks are always cool to take pictures of. This one especially, being SO clean.

Mine will be far from concours, just fixed up with no rust and safe to drive around to shows. Luckily, Rob has the resources to pull that kind of work off.

amanco wrote:Just remember, that 100 point "concours" restoration is up to the interpretation of a judge. My truck will never achieve that level of restoration nor do I want it to. That truck will never be driven to town to pick up a jug of oil and filter. It is a great (I can't emphasize that word enough) example for those of us who want to do things the right way, but way over restored. I like to think of my truck as the way it was "In Country". Nothing overly nice about it and I'm not afraid of driving it. People who see my truck are in awe of it because they have never seen one before and the Vets who see my truck and remember them talk about them with fond memories.
Thanks for the photos and the time spent taking them. You did a great job with the detail shots. It is great to know an example like this exist for posterity.
-John

1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
uglyranger
PFC
PFC

Post by uglyranger »

John thanks for all of the pictures....great stuff...congratulations
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Absolutely fantastic! Thanks for sharing!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: Driver's Seat ?

Post by m-37Bruce »

refit1701 wrote:
m-37Bruce wrote:Morning John,
He has a special drivers seat which is fitted to the truck now. He's taller than I am...probably 6'5" or so, and the regular drivers seat doesn't leave him enough room to push the pedals!!

I think the cushions are about half the thickness of stock ones.
I am 6' 2" and driving my 37 around is a challenge (& just south of 300#'s), I'm sure that Lifer has or will have the same prob? Like everyone has said, thanks for doing it! BTW Does Jewel know that she is posted upside down? <LOL>
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
mattveeder
CPL
CPL

Post by mattveeder »

Wow I wish I could say I had seen it for my self. What a great truck thats beyond any m37 I have ever seen. And the others were great as well. For my self I would have never unloaded mine off the trailer in order to not disrespect a great truck like that one.