Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

delta31
PFC
PFC

Summer Winter Baffle on Exhaust Manifold

Post by delta31 »

Hi

The summer winter butterfly in our exhaust manifold is seized. The slotted bracket on the outside moves but the shaft does not.
The position of the butterfly is unknown. Is this a serious issue? If it is in winter mode, could this cause issues driving on a hot summer day?

I wanted to avoid taking off the intake manifold for fear of breaking a stud. If it needs to come off , we'll do that.
By removing the muffler, I could use an endoscope that works with a smart phone to see the position of the butterfly.

Thanks
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Re: Summer Winter Baffle on Exhaust Manifold

Post by sturmtyger380 »

To get the intake off of the exhaust manifold is a pain and most of the time the bolts break.

Unless you are in a really cold climate it needs to stay closed all the time. Without taking the exhaust pipe loose it will be hard to see what the position is.
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Mine is also rusted in place; however, since I have an exhaust manifold leak to repair I'll be doing this job soon myself and will note where the baffle is resting. My truck needs a full choke on 1st start up, then nothing when warm.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
delta31
PFC
PFC

Post by delta31 »

Thanks for the replies

Is it possible to remove the intake manifold from the engine without removing the exhaust manifold?
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

it might be able to be done but not worth it. your camera idea is where i would start. if you have no leaks between intake and exhaust its best to keep them together. they rarely leak there.