ETW1 pump plungers

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

outpostm37
CPL
CPL

ETW1 pump plungers

Post by outpostm37 »

Fresh rebuild on the engine and carburetor.
Had some issues with the accelerator pump on the ETW1 carburetor. Sharp acceleration, the engine was falling on its face.
Took the top of the carburetor off and checked the fuel level and the pump plunger. The plunger that was in the carb was the aluminum one shown to the left with the four tabs. I manually inserted the plunger into its bore. There was an interference like it was tight.
The diameter of the aluminum vs. the round brass was nearly .030" wider. Switched over to the brass unit and the accelerator action was much better. Nearly no bog on a push of the gas pedal. The brass piston is rounded on the edge where the aluminum seems more flat. Anyone run into this issue?
Attachments
ETW1 pump plungers (1).jpg
ETW1 pump plungers (1).jpg (97.69 KiB) Viewed 694 times
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Re: ETW1 pump plungers

Post by ashyers »

I've seen this before and there's a thread around here or on one of the PW sites discussing the issue. I've been lucky that I had a few plungers kicking around and could pick one that had a good seal but low drag fit. The ETW1's I've used on my truck have always worked really well once they were properly adjusted.
mikeM43
PVT
PVT

Post by mikeM43 »

I had the same problem with my accelerator pump. I cleaned and rebuilt my carburetor using a rebuild kit and the the plunger that came with the kit is the one on the left. It was very tight in the bore but I decided to give it a shot. The truck ran terribly with hiccups under load and completely no power. I drove back to my garage and switched back to the original plunger and it runs great. I thought about trying to sand down the new plunger so it moves more freely.
1972 M151A2 AM General
1963 M43B1 Dodge Ambulance
outpostm37
CPL
CPL

Post by outpostm37 »

The addition of Marvel Mystery Oil to the gasoline may help the plunger slide better in the bore. Today's Gas with alcohol gives the plunger a hard time.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 6.53.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 6.53.17 AM.png (50.24 KiB) Viewed 565 times