M37 Rear Receiver Hitch

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

M37 Rear Receiver Hitch

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

OK, I'm now seriously preparing to build and install a rear 2" receiver hitch for the M37.

Installation location. I was originally planning on building it so the 2" receiver tube was below (but up against) the rear cross member of the M. However after crawling around, measuring and preparing for attachment clearance around the bumperets for the winch (not enough) and looking a a few of the scrapes on the fuel tank, and remembering having torn off one of the tail lights and cleaning mud out of the bumperets, I wondering if that's the right location.

Has any one built their receiver hitch to me more centered and rearward of the cross member? More in line with the bolt on pintle hitch location?
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I don't remember who did it, but someone on the old Big Electric forum fabbed up a receiver hitch below the existing pintle. The pintle would be too high for most civvy trailers, anyway, so dropping it down allowed the trailer to be level and left adequate clearance for hitching and unhitching the trailer without removing the pintle. Another option might be to replace the stock pintle with one of the combination ball/pintle units.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

Odd - the guy we bought from had a 2" hitch installed by U-Haul back in the 90's and drove from Phoenix to Cinni towing a trailer. It was the first thing we took off and have set it out back doing nothing.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: M37 Rear Receiver Hitch

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

W_A_Watson_II wrote:OK, I'm now seriously preparing to build and install a rear 2" receiver hitch for the M37.

Installation location. I was originally planning on building it so the 2" receiver tube was below (but up against) the rear cross member of the M. However after crawling around, measuring and preparing for attachment clearance around the bumperets for the winch (not enough) and looking a a few of the scrapes on the fuel tank, and remembering having torn off one of the tail lights and cleaning mud out of the bumperets, I wondering if that's the right location.

Has any one built their receiver hitch to me more centered and rearward of the cross member? More in line with the bolt on pintle hitch location?
We did one on the Timken Bearing M37, you can check it out on our website.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Charles,

Beautiful Truck! That's a nice hitch, just too low for my trucks needs. I don't really plan on towing, just want a way to use the same winch on the different trucks and my trailer.

At this link you will see the winch in the three different locaitons: http://m37.wawii.com/images/DSC00056_3M ... ptions.JPG
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Ah! I see what you have in mind, now, Will. Your original remarks about winches and trailer hitches didn't seem to make sense. Now, they do. :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Well Friday night and Saturday I fabricated the Hitch plate. I went with the over the cross member to provide maximum clearance for the winch when off roading. It's a little tight to install with the bed installed, but it can be done. http://m37.wawii.com/

The top picture I posted (http://m37.wawii.com/images/DSC00059_Hitch.JPG) collection is of the hitch as fabricated. I used existing bumperet and pintle hitch bolt holes for mounting, however I will need to drill two more holes vertically up through the hitch and cross member to secure it better from twist. Drilling two 3/4" holes upward over your head is no fun, sure wish the bed wasn't installed.

The middle picture I posted (http://m37.wawii.com/images/DSC00066_HitchInstalled.JPG) collection shows the hitch installed and with various items inserted into the receiver tube. The pintle hitch sticks further rearward than stock, but it's not like I plan on using it to pull a trailer, just pull other folks out.

The lower picture I posted (http://m37.wawii.com/images/DSC00078_RearWinch.JPG) collection shows the winch from several different angles. You can see in the lower left image that most of the departure angle is preserved. The winch bracket has a loose fitting 2" tube, and I think I might tack a couple of shims to it to take out some of the play, other wise it will wobble a lot when bouncing along the trail.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

That's a nice piece of work-good job!
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (99.58 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M37-MILITARY-T ... 4902.l9144
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

Nice, but I wouldn't pull anything too heavy with it on the ball hitch. A lot of leverage on those bolts.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

We would do some additional reinforcement gussets from the back side of the receiver plate to the cross member. This way there would not be so much load riding against only the attachment bolts .
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Tom P
CPL
CPL

Post by Tom P »

Looks Good Will.
You going to have time for IA this year?
TGP
"47" WDX WW
"52" M37 WW
"54" Willys M38A1
"65" M35A1 WW
To Many Others
http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... temId=2019
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Tom, I should, Everything is moved, most of the remodel is done, and the shop is nearing completion.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

rickf wrote:Nice, but I wouldn't pull anything too heavy with it on the ball hitch. A lot of leverage on those bolts.
Says 3000lbs. I'm just using it for a bed extension with kayaks.
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

after seeing many bent rear xmembers terry thought it best to spread the load out.

.............................. use it ...............