Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Anyone Install Repro Fuel Line Kit?

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Yeah, I'm being super lazy.....so how about the fuel line kit......has anyone bought and installed the repro fuel line kit from either VPW or Midwest?? Same questions as for the brake line kit.....were all the lines bent properly and did they fit well? I also assume the lines are steel and not stainless. Did they have the correct armor spring wrap? Were the long lines bent to fit in the shipping box or were all lines ready to be installed.

thanks,
bob
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Anyone Install Repro Fuel Line Kit?

Post by just me »

See reply in your other post.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

w30bob wrote:Hi Guys,

Yeah, I'm being super lazy.....so how about the fuel line kit......has anyone bought and installed the repro fuel line kit from either VPW or Midwest?? Same questions as for the brake line kit.....were all the lines bent properly and did they fit well? I also assume the lines are steel and not stainless. Did they have the correct armor spring wrap? Were the long lines bent to fit in the shipping box or were all lines ready to be installed.

thanks,
bob
I elected to replace my original, rusty metal fuel lines with rubber, fuel injection line. Fairly cheap.
Easy to install and will outlast me. No more internally rusted lines... ever.
Unless one intends to have your M judged at a national show, why
not use this KISS system?
JB
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

I should add that while replacing the rusty old steel lines with rubber lines,
I also installed an electric fuel pump and an uber fuel filter.
Using rubber lines made the plumbing a heck of a lot easier than
wrestling with metal lines.
Pic's of my setup on my gallery.
Jerry
Past Pres
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Jerry,

I can see how using rubber hose in place of steel lines would sure make it an easier job..........but (there's always a but)............for those thinking of doing the same to their truck bear in mind the reason the majority of fuel lines on automobiles are steel and not rubber is for durability. Rubber hose is affected by chemicals, the weather, etc, were steel is not. Even the rubber hoses on the fuel pumps at gas stations are replaced every few years, as they crack and degrade over time. And those are a multi-piece, composite hoses made specifically for fuel. Most of the fuel line you buy at the auto parts store is single material, much less durable stuff.

My point is any rubber hose you use for fuel line will get hard, crack and degrade over time much quicker than steel lines will. And on some vehicles the fuel lines are routed where they're not easily seen or inspected, like in the frame rails. Ethanol specifically also isn't kind to most over-the-counter rubber hose, and the rubber fuel hose you buy is ethanol resistant, but not ethanol proof. And if it's made in China........forget about it. From a longevity standpoint the most durable hose available is hydraulic hose. It's chemical resistant on the inside, and usually covered by a weather resistant braiding on the outside....but it's a bit expensive, you're a bit limited in end fitting selection, and I don't know if ethanol is something it can handle.

So for someone like you Jerry, who take's care of his vehicles, the rubber fuel hose won't be a problem......just keep checking it every year to make sure it's not getting brittle or cracking and not chaffing on anything. But for anybody out there who wants to install rubber fuel hose in place of steel line and then forget about it.........and you intend to keep your vehicle for some time............you might want to re-consider steel lines. Again, I'm not criticizing your selection Jerry, just adding some info for others who might be considering doing the same. :D

regards,
bob
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

Bob:
I agree with everything you pointed out. I use the best high quality "fuel injection line" that I can find.
It's priced very reasonably. It's said to be ethanol compatible and is found on all newer FI systems.

Keep in mind that rubber vs. steel may be a toss up. You and I have rubber fuel injection lines on our modern
cars and we rarely, if ever, inspect them for leaks, cracks and deterioration. And when is the last time
ANYONE inspected their steel lines looking for cracks from constant vibration and rust. Not to mention trying
to determine if the insides of the steel lines are rusting from the inside out. I have a 1997 Chev pickup with fuel
injection that is still using the original rubber lines. 19 years of punishing oil field/off road service
and they still look fine.

With that in mind I've taken to use rubber. It's priced right, it's a no hassle installation. If I ever see they need to be
replaced on my M37 it will only be less than an hour's worth of my time and less then $20.

But, like my Dad used to say: "Everyone to their own poison." :)

Just my 2 cents worth........
Jerry
Past Pres
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Whenever I redo my brake and fuel lines, this is the product I will most likely use. http://store.fedhillusa.com/5168mmdirectory.aspx. This is their fuel line. Most of their stuff is brake line related
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Jerry,

You're right...........I'm a bit behind on fuel line technology. I was thinking of the old 3/8 black "fuel hose" you get at NAPA, not the modern FI stuff. I'm guessing that once FI became the norm and the fuel hoses had to deal with pressure...........the hose manufacturers got their act together and made much better stuff.

thanks for the info!

regards,
bob
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I won't do a vehicle with all rubber line just for routing and securing issues. My metal lines won't sag or chafe and are less likely to be damaged than rubber running the length of the truck. You will notice that MOST rubber line in new vehicles is short and between two hard lines. The rubber doesn't have (usually) any clips or mounting hardware to rub or chafe. ( have rubber hose in my M37 from the front cross member to fuel pump. And short sections for my in line filter. But that is it.)
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

just me wrote:I won't do a vehicle with all rubber line just for routing and securing issues. My metal lines won't sag or chafe and are less likely to be damaged than rubber running the length of the truck. You will notice that MOST rubber line in new vehicles is short and between two hard lines. The rubber doesn't have (usually) any clips or mounting hardware to rub or chafe. ( have rubber hose in my M37 from the front cross member to fuel pump. And short sections for my in line filter. But that is it.)
Good advice and certainly an issue that needs to be considered when replacing fuel or hydraulic lines.
Logic says full length rubber lines would be secured just like metal lines to prevent the sag, chafe and possible abrasion
you mentioned. Rust.... the eternal enemy of steel is my concern.
I'll get back to you guys in 20+ years when one of my rubber lines fails. :D
JB
Past Pres
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

m37jarhead wrote: Rust.... the eternal enemy of steel is my concern.
I'll get back to you guys in 20+ years when one of my rubber lines fails. :D
JB
Check out the copper/nickel lines in my link above. No rust. Easier bending and better flaring. Read about their uses on the website. It sound like they supply OEM for various European car makers
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I've used plenty of the copper/nickle line on my truck and other projects. Really like the stuff. And it has a cool instant patina look to it. Did have to get a special clamping set to flare it as my old one left marks on the tubing from the serrations.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

ZG,

On those copper/nickel lines........how do you prep them for paint? Does paint adhere well........or does it flake off? I've had problems painting copper coated parts in the past, so just wondering if you need to do anything special to them first.

thanks,
bob
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

My original lines weren't painted so I never even gave it a thought. You would have to get it spotlessly clean and prime immediately before it began to build it's tarnish. I've had better luck painting aluminum than copper in the past.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

w30bob wrote:ZG,

On those copper/nickel lines........how do you prep them for paint? Does paint adhere well........or does it flake off? I've had problems painting copper coated parts in the past, so just wondering if you need to do anything special to them first.

thanks,
bob
Bob, I have not used them. I have only run a few small sections of brake and fuel line on the truck, and I found that product doing online searches. I was interested in it and looked a little further and it seems like good stuff. Getting their crimper is the part that hurts the wallet the most though.