Lower door weather strip question

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Lower door weather strip question

Post by F18hornetm »

I've got the new gaskets for the doors. The lower gasket I'm told mounts to the cab rocker panel. My truck has no bracket to hold this seal. It looks like it should slide into a long metal strip. Was wondering if any one had a picture of their lower door seal mounting? I've searched around for pictures and cant find one. I can always just make something but would be nice to know how its supposed to go.
Thanks
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Lower door weather strip question

Post by Jess »

Look on the Mid West Military site, they sell the metal strips and may have a picture posted. They are not that expensive and hold the rubber strip properly for a tight seal from the road dust.
VPW may also have a picture in their catalog if you hunt around.
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

the strip looks like a "L" with the "_" depth the thickness of the pinch area of the seal and the " l "the height of the pinch.

the design of the lower door weather strip seal is horrible. all the dirt snow and salt from getting in and out of the cab falls between the seal and the rocker, rotting it out. all the west coast trucks I have seen have rust or repairs because of the poultice corrosion cased by the seal trapping dirt. some trucks that sat with broken glass or rotted tops had matching rust jacks on the door.

a fix may be to install the seal up side down on the strip so it can not catch dirt and hold it against the rocker.

I just left it off, but I do get a draft between seat and door
.............................. use it ...............
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

Thanks for the thoughts. I did think being mounted to the cab would create a place to catch crap. I also thought getting in and out might wear it some. Not quit to the doors yet, just getting stuff together for them. But was still wondering what I was gonna do about it. May wait till I install the doors and then decide. Guess you could always seam seal the top edge. That stuff works pretty well.
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

Im considering installing the seal upside down on the door to stop the crap collecting and damage from boots. this however will leave a small gap at the front and back of the door.
.............................. use it ...............
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

That might be a good idea you have. Will check it out when I get to it.
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Post by mike_l »

If it helps, here is a photo of one on my truck - http://g741.org/photogallery/main.php?g ... ewsIndex=1. As mentioned, the metal L-shaped bracket is on the bottom (OD color).
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA