Know a good mechanic?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

winston

Know a good mechanic?

Post by winston »

I'm looking for a knowledgeable mechanic to work on my M37. I live in New Hampshire.
Here's a little history...
The first 2 years I owned the M37 it ran like a new car. I let it sit for the next 2 years then it wouldn't start again. I couldn't figure out why so I had it towed to a mechanic. He drained the gas & put on a new carb and it started but it wouldn't stay running. Then he changed the coil, points, condenser. Still no luck. He gave up & I towed it home.
I played with it and got it running but it wouldn't idle and it would quit for no reason.
I towed it to a different mechanic and he thought it wasn't getting gas so he replaced the mechanical fuel pump. No luck. Then he claims that the truck is still not getting gas so he installed an electric fuel pump and played with the timing. The truck would start but not idle and quickly die out. He gave up and I had it towed home again.
Now, I can get the truck to start for a few seconds but it sounds like its running on 3 cylinders, won't rev up and dies with a bang. Sounds like the timing is really messed up.
I give up. I've been messing with this truck for 2 years and I just want to drive it again.
I don't know if there's something wrong inside the motor or maybe everything is just so far out of whack. I don't have the tools to check compression, timing, fuel pressure, ect. I need someone who actually knows how to work on these trucks to figure out whats going on.
Thanks for any help.
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Know a good mechanic?

Post by just me »

Find an OLD guy to work on it. Most others have no clue how to work on old cars with simple carbs and points. I'll bet it is in he tank pick up if the old filter is still in there. Or the lines are rusty and plugging the jets with gunk.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
nhjohnny1
PFC
PFC

Post by nhjohnny1 »

what part of NH? im in Contoocook, not a mechanic by trade but enjoy tinkering on my M
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

Mine did basically the same thing, I bought new plugs at Napa and it ran like new
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
winston

Post by winston »

Thanks for the help. The plugs are pretty black. I'll try new ones but it sounds like its not getting enough gas or the timing is messed up.
I'm in Fremont. Next to Epping NH.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Black is too much gas.
Stop going to parts replacers and go to someone who tests and diagnoses the issue.
Why would someone replace the carb when they can be rebuilt inexpensively ? Why replace a fuel pump without checking the flow and pressure? Then do it again.
I would set timing, points gap and give it a go. If it starts and stalls it is time to see why. Fuel to the pump? Fuel to carb? Plugged carb passages/jets?
If it won't start, the above and voltages through the ign system.
Save money and diagnose, not just replace parts.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
nhjohnny1
PFC
PFC

Post by nhjohnny1 »

I sent you a PM