Locking hubs not unlocking?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Locking hubs not unlocking?

Post by jim lee »

Pushing the truck in and out of the shop without its engine I noticed that the front driveshaft is going around and around. It was one of those things that sits in the back of your mind then suddenly I thought; "Hey, that's not supposed to be doing that!"

My locking hubs don't seem to be unlocking. Or do things like this sometimes drag a little? I've no experience at all with locking hubs so I don't know what's normal here. Do they sometimes drag a little? Or do they commonly break where they get stuck locked?

Thanks!

-jim lee
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Locking hubs not unlocking?

Post by just me »

Is the transfer case lever engaged? The rear will spin the front f it is. Ordinarily, they don't drag at all when released. I have seen failures where a piece breaks off and wedges engaged. Pulling the hubs will tell. (Witness mark them before removal)
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

If you find that one is broken and have to buy a set of two.... My truck is missing one. Has one locking hub and one original. I was surprised how much people are asking for them now.
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
DCook
CPL
CPL

Post by DCook »

Be sure your "T" case is in 2 wheel then try turning your front drive line by hand. If it is dragging on oil or grease, you should be able to turn through it. If you can't, and it wants to drive the chassis, then lift one tire off the ground. You should be able to determine which side is locked up before you disassemble it.
MVPA Member #23780
1942 Chev. 1 1/2 Ton Dump Truck
1951 M37 W/W, & Field Radio
1958 Navy CJ3B
1967 M725 Ambulance
1987 M101A2 Trailer