Registration Numbers for M101 & M101A1 Trailers

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Registration Numbers for M101 & M101A1 Trailers

Post by 52 M-42 »

Does anyone know how the military registration numbers were derived for the M101 & M101A1 Trailers? There is lots of information about registration numbers for the trucks, but I'm not able to find documentation on how the registration numbers were formulated and assigned to the trailers. :oops:

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks,

52 M-42
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Re: Registration Numbers for M101 & M101A1 Trailers

Post by sturmtyger380 »

When I got my M101 trailer I looked into finding info on the trailer number on the tailgate. I could not find any pattern to it. Jeeps and such had the contract number as the first part of the number. I could not determine if the contract number was in the trailer number.

Please let us know if you find anything new on this. Alan
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

So far yours is the only reply. These low cost utility trailers seem to almost be disposable items; they just don't seem to be tracked like the more expensive, "capital equipment" type items like trucks.

I'll post anything I find out.
PFC1952M37
PVT
PVT

Post by PFC1952M37 »

I was the Property Book Officer for several of my units.

Registration Numbers are assigned to new vehicles and remain the same for the life of the vehicle. This is the same for all accountable vehicles, weapons, and equipment. Registration numbers are used for accountability and only that. The agency to which a vehicle is assigned (US ARMY) and the registration number are applied as specified during the procurement process.

In most cases, the registration number is also stamped into a permanent part or a data plate that is attached with rivets and presumed to be permanently attached. The registration number is the one you use for DMV business.

Unit markings commonly called "bumper markings" are applied by the unit to which the item is currently assigned and are changed every time the item is transferred. These numbers are the only ones that can identify the assignment history of an item - if you can carefully sand off layers of paint applied each time the item was transferred.
You must BUY the book if you want to go BY the book.
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Good info, thanks Paul.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.