WTB Complete Fording Group

Buy and sell M37 and related stuff

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Forum rules
Your Location must be included in your advertisement or it may removed without notice.
DCook
CPL
CPL

WTB Complete Fording Group

Post by DCook »

I want to buy the complete fording setup for my 51 M37. I have the dash plaque and cable, but I think I need everything else.
Has there been a posting showing the complete group?
Would anyone have the complete set for sale?
Can anyone point me in the right direction to get what I need?
John at MWM said he has been sold out for awhile now.
I know some of you have posted repro piping, which would work for me, but I need all the other stuff too.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Dana Cook
MVPA Member #23780
1942 Chev. 1 1/2 Ton Dump Truck
1951 M37 W/W, & Field Radio
1958 Navy CJ3B
1967 M725 Ambulance
1987 M101A2 Trailer
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Re: WTB Complete Fording Group

Post by 52 M-42 »

At this stage in the life of these trucks, you are probably going to have to put the kit together piece by piece. You may get lucky and find a complete kit, but don't hold your breath waiting for one. :D

It is really not that hard, however. There are only 3 pieces that require fabrication (the intake tube, the exhaust pipe extension and the bracket for the intake tube). The carburetor shroud you will have to buy (or trade for); they are NOT cheap, by the way.

The other small bits and pieces are fairly easy to acquire. The usual suspects (VPW, MWM, etc., and of course, Ebay) have them fairly regularly. The best thing to do is get a copy of the packing list for the complete kit and start collecting all the parts. It will probably be cheaper than a complete kit, too.

Just a suggestion. :wink:
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi D,

Well.........here's a start..........this is the second listing, no one bit the first time around when it was listed for $249. I've seen them at meets for $75 or so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-M-37-Carb ... 0a&vxp=mtr

regards,
bob
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

I'll second 52 M-42's comments. I searched for a while trying to find a complete kit, and then resorted to assembling it piece by piece. The complete kits (or what are advertised as complete kits - be sure that you know what should be in the kit before accepting any seller's claim about completeness) do occasionally show up for sale, but the price for a truly complete kit is really getting up there.

If you need a copy of the installation instructions, let me know.

Some of the small bits, such as one of the little cable brackets, are getting harder to find. Also, I've found two different versions of the storage brackets for the long exhaust pipe.

If you intend on installing the kit, keep in mind that - as Charles and others here have observed - the air cleaner enclosure is very, very restrictive to the air flow into the carb, and should not be left in place for normal driving.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

I saw that Outsider (Steve) had an listing here in the Swap Meet section. It is a Repro exhaust pipe.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
BILL L
SGT
SGT

Fording Parts

Post by BILL L »

I have a spare NOS fording exhaust pipe and the correct 2 brackets that I am thinking about selling. What is holding me back is how do you ship something that long and how do you prevent it from getting damaged? Pickup only is an option but no one wants to come to Florida in the summer.
Same thing goes for some nice front fender, outer windshield frames and other large items I would like to sell.
Autodoc51@aol.com
Tony C
PVT
PVT

Re: Fording Parts

Post by Tony C »

BILL L wrote:I have a spare NOS fording exhaust pipe and the correct 2 brackets that I am thinking about selling. What is holding me back is how do you ship something that long and how do you prevent it from getting damaged? Pickup only is an option but no one wants to come to Florida in the summer.
Same thing goes for some nice front fender, outer windshield frames and other large items I would like to sell.
Autodoc51@aol.com
Good morning,

A couple of ways you can go with the outsized parts. For the exhaust use some PVC big enough to get to the major bend and fold heavy or a couple of wraps of ordinary cardboard around that end using strapping tape. UPS and FedX will take it, but they have a special handling fee. Check with your local PO. THey have changed a lot of practices and may take that type of freight.

Second option is to tag it and send it unpackaged. I've had exhaust parts shipped like that by UPS. Same for tires.

The W/S frame is easy. Put it between a couple of sheets of 1/4" hardboard, cover it with cardboard and strapping tape and truck ship it by FedX. I don't recall the size limits. It may be able to go regular freight. Will be pricy however. Best if the receiver can have it shipped to a business. I've had big stuff shipped to the tire shop I do all my business.

Truck ship the fender open on a small homemade pallet. A couple of 2X4s and some one-by. Strap it down and ship it. The shipper would really have to work at damaging an M37 fender. Easiest to ship it unwrapped by whomever will take it. Just have the dimensions and shipping weight when you call for quotes.

I shipped a pair of '37 Cadillac side mount fenders from Ca. to up state NY. Made a big plywood box and mounted it on a pallet, took it to the local UPS terminal (18 miles). They used their fork lift to unload it and hasta la ByeBye, Went by LTL truck freight. Don't know if they interlined it or what but it got there.

Hope this helps.
Tony
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

I have the air filter shroud id sell. Or trade for an intake pipe, or add money ...
-Jay

MVPA#31295
Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado
http://www.mvcconline.org
3/3 CAV HWB
DCook
CPL
CPL

Post by DCook »

Thanks guys,
I am down to needing the intake pipe, hose, and mounting bracket, along with the valves for the crankcase vent lines that the cable operates. Also maybe a front mounting bracket for the exhaust extension.
Dana
MVPA Member #23780
1942 Chev. 1 1/2 Ton Dump Truck
1951 M37 W/W, & Field Radio
1958 Navy CJ3B
1967 M725 Ambulance
1987 M101A2 Trailer
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Dana,
let me know if you find an extra intake pipe and mounts, id take one too. I have the bracket for the truck.
-Jay

MVPA#31295
Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado
http://www.mvcconline.org
3/3 CAV HWB