Introduction, Just jumped in!

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Re: Introduction, Just jumped in!

Post by Cal_Gary »

What a wonderful project, handled by a bunch of youngsters just learning about life! I can say with a degree of certainty that you have an entire forum of "proud parents" right about now, and our heartfelt "thanks" to you Andy for leading your team-outstanding job! :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

So once it's complete what becomes of it?
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Define "complete" :)!

I suspect the truck will hang around the Shop for some time.Our project vehicles have been purchased and built on my dime and I hold title to them. So far this has worked out well. I suspect the truck will be an ongoing project. It should be on the road this week if I can get to the DMV. I suspect it will keep us occupied on a variety of levels for some time! We need something to tow the autocross car too!
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

The truck turned it's first wheel on public streets in decades yesterday and made it home today on an 11mi. test drive. I see these things are a bit of an acquired taste :). I drove home on city streets thru Oakland and it seems the old M is quite the show. Lots of waving, staring, and big smiles. I will say driving it is an engaging experience! The only drama was climbing a hill close to home. As I was chugging up the cab started to stink a bit and then some smoke actually entered. I couldn't place the nasty smell. It wasn't clutch, oil, gear lube... Once I crested the hill it stopped nearly immediately. By the time I arrived home I thought I may know what it was. Sure enough, it was the muffler cement the previous owner did a half a$$ed repair with. Seems it cooks off quite quickly and stinks to high heaven! We'll need to sort that out once I commit to purchasing a new exhaust manifold. The old one has 1/2 of each bolt hole on the outlet missing and I've avoided messing with it since it's still holding. I want to ensure I don't have any larger issues dealt with.

Andy
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Andy,

The first ride is always a bit intimidating after being so accustomed to modern luxury vehicles. I'm glad to hear that for the most part, all went well.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

ashyers wrote:....We'll need to sort that out once I commit to purchasing a new exhaust manifold. The old one has 1/2 of each bolt hole on the outlet missing and I've avoided messing with it since it's still holding. I want to ensure I don't have any larger issues dealt with. Andy
So it begins.........

If you take this step (and you know you will), it will continue to be "one more thing" until you die or you get rid of the truck. You will be addicted.

Good Luck! :mrgreen:
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

The sage words of Hilde: " You said you wanted a project! " She could not have been more correct!

The truck managed to make it back to school today and seems no worse for wear. I wish I had a point for comparison in regard to its performance. It's so radically different from what I'm familiar with I fear that I'm going to miss something that bites me later. It is as much fun as it is slow :).

Andy
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

You got home under your own power and you had fun. :D

That doesn't happen all the time; especially on your first outing. :shock:

Sounds like you are off to a very successful start.
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

52 M-42 wrote:You got home under your own power and you had fun. :D

That doesn't happen all the time; especially on your first outing. :shock:

Sounds like you are off to a very successful start.
52 Is right, Sometimes you don't come home under your own power.. :oops: :oops:
TOW HOME.jpg
TOW HOME.jpg (65.53 KiB) Viewed 1828 times

Sal :mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Sal,

When I saw that picture it reminded me why I bought a Medium tow bar to carry in the back of the truck while on outings. :roll:

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

After that rubber band trip home that day I got one also Bert. :)

Sal :mrgreen:
Last edited by Sal on Sat May 02, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

ashyers wrote: It's so radically different from what I'm familiar with I fear that I'm going to miss something that bites me later. It is as much fun as it is slow :).

Andy
Your point of reference should be an old farm tractor (Oliver, Moline, Fordson, etc.) that you can drive on the highway. Don't use pick up trucks or cars as your reference point. It will frustrate you and annoy the truck. Realize that you can go anywhere at 20 to 35 mph, but that you will never go anywhere 50 to 55. Once you internalize that (not just accept it intellectually), you will relax and feel more confident in the capabilities of the truck. In time you will come to "trust" it implicitly. That is when you will start having more fun than work. :D
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

52 M-42 wrote: Your point of reference should be an old farm tractor (Oliver, Moline, Fordson, etc.) that you can drive on the highway.
That's kind of what I figured, but I've never really driven any old tractors! I did drive a Fiat-Allis loader once and there are similarities :).

Hilde (fearless codriver), Abigail (fearless dog) and I went for our first real outing in the truck today and took a nice trip out for breakfast, to a local park, to a sports store, to the local bakery, and home. We drove on all city streets and took our time. The trip probably took about the same time as it would if we took the freeways, as the traffic has really become a hassle in this area! The truck ran well and the use is actually causing it to "limber up" for lack of a better term. I've found this to be true of a few other vehicles we've brought back to life over the time I've been teaching Auto. Running them frees up items that have been overcome by 'stiction'. The ride's improved as the leafs have freed up, the tires have flexed a bit, and the truck's rolling more freely as all of the bearings and brakes are settling in. I'm excited to have the truck on the road again, it sat for a long time neglected and decaying and it's kind of cool to drive a bit of history. Hilde grudgingly admits it's kind of cool and Abigail seems to like it once she's taken over 3/4's of the seat. One unintended consequence is the physical work out the truck provides. I'm feeling the tire swaps, non power steering and hoping that my muscle memory improves my shifting ASAP.

Andy
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

ashyers wrote: One unintended consequence is the physical work out the truck provides. I'm feeling the tire swaps, non power steering and hoping that my muscle memory improves my shifting ASAP.

Andy
That's a feature not a bug! It's not "non-power steering"; it's Armstrong steering. You must also remember these trucks were handed out to 17, 18 & 19 year olds (at least when I was in the Army). They didn't seem to have a problem, back in the day. Also, honestly, off road these trucks are much easier on you. They ride better and steer easier.

As the tires flex and the grease works into the spring shackles it will ride better and better. Take your time shifting; if you know how to "double clutch" so you match your transmission speed to your engine speed, that will help too. It just takes time and getting use to going slow.

If you can get out into the woods and mountains, you will be amazed at the places you can go if you take your time. :mrgreen:
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Here's some photos of some of the places we used to go in mine.

This is also why I've rebuilt mine twice. :wink: