enjoy,
bob

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Other-Pic ... ars_Trucks
xm708
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Rare LWB M37

Post by xm708 »

Cool truck must have belonged to somebody on here since its in the registry or has a photo album ? Such a rare truck asking a lot but very few pictures... There should at least be one of the xm283 dash plate if its there ..
xm708
SSGT
SSGT

Post by xm708 »

I have a feeling the bed has been changed . That looks like an m37 stock bed with 12 inches or so welded in. There wasn't two tool boxes on the original xm283 as shown in crimsons wheeled vehicles and also the listings last pic .. I wonder about this one ??
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Cool looking truck. That would be a nice truck to have. The longer bed would be great to have. I especially like the double under bed tool box compartments.

He does want a lot of money for it, but if the running gear has been rebuilt / restored as nicely as the body it would be reasonable. The fuel-fired heater and a defroster duct would need to be part of the package (I saw the fuel-fired heater on the fender in the photos but did NOT see a defroster duct on the interior picture).

Too far away and too much money for me (a situation for which I'm very thankful to the Military Truck Gods).
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I don't buy that either, Ed. Why isn't the rear wheel centered on the rear fender? M201s have the longer wheel base too, and the rear wheel remains centered up under the rear box. I've never seen a military Dodge with an offset axle/fender arrangement.

Call me skeptical,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

The last photo in the listing, which is a prototype and not the truck for sale, and the photo of the M56 on p. 244 of Crismon's book, appear to show a LWB cargo truck with the rear axle slightly forward in the wheel housings, i.e. not centered.

But clearly the cargo box on the truck in the ebay listing is not the same as the truck in the prototype photos. The original has a smooth panel in the front sides, while the ebay truck has an extra set of reinforcements, and five bows for the paulin instead of four as in the original. I'll second the notion that this box is not factory, although it looks to be a well-done fabrication from two standard short boxes. Cost was always a concern with the Army, and I'm surprised that they would have paid for five bows when four would work, or for two under-bed tool boxes and four side tool box doors.

I'll guess that someone had a LWB chassis, and wanted an M56.

52', I don't see a fuel fired heater (personnel or arctic engine) in any of the photos, except for the last one, which is of a prototype, not the actual truck for sale. Or am I missing something?

The serial numbers in the ebay listing and the g741 registry are sort of a puzzle. The "2661" prefix suggests a 1961 or 1962 truck, but the suffix has six numbers instead of five. It would be interesting to know what the actual number is that's stamped into the frame (since the entry in the registry for the frame number is actually an engine S/N), and then reference that against the build card to see if it was originally an ambulance or a V41. Or maybe it was an XM708 or even an XM142. And then there's the note in the g741 registry that the data plate is for an "M37B1".
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Last night when I looked at the ad the text was scrambled and the pictures were not loading properly. After reviewing the ad this morning, I see where the fuel-fired heater is on another truck, not the one for sale.

I agree this is probably a modified B1 (at least the instrument panel is out of a B1), but then why isn't the spare mounted on the driver's door?

I still like the longer bed and double under bed tool boxes, but I don't think it is a "rare" truck; just a modified one.

It would be fun to have, but all your bed canvas and troop seat pads & back rests would need to be custom made.
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

I never seen one of these before so I'm pretty much in the dark here. But I was looking at the picture of the engine compartment and found it funny that it has a voltage regulator mounted gas filter and a old style mechanical voltage regulator on a 1962 model truck.

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Sal wrote:I never seen one of these before so I'm pretty much in the dark here. But I was looking at the picture of the engine compartment and found it funny that it has a voltage regulator mounted gas filter and a old style mechanical voltage regulator on a 1962 model truck.

Sal
:mrgreen:
The mechanical voltage regulator would have been stock, even in '62. The fuel filter in the engine compartment was long gone by then, however, as you noted.

A nice truck, indeed, but a genuine M56/XM283? Hmm...a lot of money for something that might not be authentic.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
xm708
SSGT
SSGT

Post by xm708 »

I asked for closer clearer picsof data plates from seller lets see what we get. It has pics on listing but not very clear and cant zoom in in them,....
xm708
SSGT
SSGT

Post by xm708 »

Owner relisted and said he is sending me clearer pics of the data plates. He did say though the dash plaque says m37 nothing about xm283.. He also said he or the other owner though it was original. Although it is listed as one. Nice m37 with a long frame but I don't think it is the elusive xm283 though. I just saw another like this on ebay. It was a fire truck with long frame and a truck cab so they are out there...
PoW
SFC
SFC

Post by PoW »

It's a fake :evil: , I've seen a real one at Yuma Proving Grounds years ago.

DDG
U404S
PFC
PFC

Post by U404S »

I have one of those long-bedded M37's. It has a winch and a front and back facing PTO which I thought was unusual. It also has a double frame behind the cab. I have speculated it must have been a welding truck and someone pulled the bed and put a shop-made extension to an M37 bed on it. I have also speculated that it might have been an M53 cab and chassis that was orderd for another use and then converted to a long M37 bed. Who knows. It's a pretty nice bed though and looks like it should. It also has a single tool opening on either side as opposed to the double one in that auction. I actually prefer the long bed look.

Anyway, I bought my truck from a gentleman who bought it from a gentleman who bought it from the son of a deceased military/surplus/salvage dealer near Lake City, Florida who bought it at a government auction from somewhere around here (Florida). This makes me think the bed extension was done by the military as I confirmed the other owners didn't build it. The only other modification is that one of the prior owners installed Lockright lockers front and back (I have the receipt). Those things are awful. The truck is all but undriveable on pavement as the tires are always breaking loose and squeeling on turns. My guess is an axle or something else is going to break before too long.

Incidentally, that army truck yard is still there and has lots of semi-parted out and broken down older army trucks still in it. It's not too far from the penitentiary near Lake City; Google Earth probably has some nice views of it (the army truck yard). The surviving son is good guy and will sell things if you can find him. Otherwise, everything out there has been out in the rain for years so condition of many things is a little rough.

Anyway, I lost interest in my truck and it's now buried deep in my shop waiting for me to refocus. One day I may just haul it to MSeriesRebuild and see what kind of magic can be done.....

Cheers,

Jerry
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

I know a guy that has one that's pretty beat up do you think I should try to buy it or even just go look at it :?:
Thanks,TRAVIS
When it comes to gambling I don't play the Powerball, I play the Powerwagon

1952 M37 FARM TRUCK
230 W/THRUSH EXHAUST, DELETED HEAT RISER AND 12 VOLT IGNITION

1941 WC RATROD
w/ 5 TON MULTIFUEL TURBO DIESEL