Tyres Problem Resolved...

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tyres Problem Resolved...

Post by Monkey Man »

OK, I bit the bullet yesterday, I ordered and pre-paid for a set of 5 alliance Nato NDT Tyres, Total of $2,800 for the 5 with fitting but I have few options here so they are the best option. I can get the Firestone NDT's but the price once freighted from Melbourne is almost the same and these are a much better tyre, they are still used by the Defence Force here.....
I will get them fitted up, run the truck for quite a few years on them then I will gradually get a set of tubeless rims if I can. I have still got to buy axles for the truck but no point in having drive if your tyres are illegal so they get swapped out first. Ann has already claimed the old tyres for a raised garden bed so as they say, waste not, want not.....

MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tyres Problem Resolved...

Post by Monkey Man »

Up close pics of new tyres, does anyone else run these?
I'll put more pics up when they are on the truck

Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

very nice and aggressive looking. If i had them i would run them. I love my ndts for high speed gravel operations but the lack of siping makes them frightening on wet pavement.
.............................. use it ...............
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Thanks, I can't wait to get them fitted up and some axles so I can take on a logging track to test them out. I did ask Carter what he thought first and he said they looked good, If Carter says it's good stuff then it's money in the bank wisdom for sure so I went and got the tax return completed and got the cash to buy them. Being new tyres they should wear well compared to the busted up old tyres I have always managed to scrounge up, the pity is my current tyres have lots of good tread but the re-tread is separating from the ageing and cracking casing thus making them an unacceptable risk on the road.

Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

Monkey Man wrote: Being new tyres they should wear well compared to the busted up old tyres I have always managed to scrounge up
that was what I was hoping when I got my STAs but after a 45min burn on the hwy i could see the wear. now i do think my 37 is a race car when she's in the bends :wink: the siping will probably help with wear as the tire/tyre should run cooler.
.............................. use it ...............
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

A best of both worlds kind of thing. The pattern and tread of NDT and better handling for wet pavement. Good buy. And not for nothing but you can spend that much here in the states for some tires.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

That's probably close to what I paid for my Super swampers including the tubes and flaps.

Similar boat here, want to re-axle and run hummer rims, but I might have to get some servicable steel 16s till the swampers run their life.
Hemiman
PVT
PVT

Post by Hemiman »

Just a thought. . . . Has anyone ever researched re-hubbing. Maybe there is a bearing set in the Timken catalog that would allow running, Ford, GM or Mopar, Dana-60 hubs on the M-37 spindles?

Re-drill the drum, or use the matching discs. Not sure about axle flanges. Just a thought that popped into my head reading this thread.
19E/K
63B
93B
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

There was a guy on steel soldiers that redrilled his hubs for 8 lug Humvee wheels and disc brakes. I believe the backspacing worked out well too. This may be my approach down the road as well.

Brett
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

Brett,

Do you have a link to that?
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

HaaaaHaaaHaaaaaaaaa, I FINALLY Have my new Tyres, at 35Psi the steering is sooooo much lighter and the grip is very noticeable indeed on all surfaces so far. I may? run them at the correct 50psi but I will run some chalk pen across the tread and see what they are running on the road like to find the correct pressure for the truck's weight.
Whaddya think?? - I think they look pretty darned good 8)

Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Post by JimC »

Nice
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Those look very nice 8) Now the real test is how well they will wear. How loud are they on the road?

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

Can anyone actually hear their tires over the vehicle noise? I see that question asked alot and between the snow tires I had on before and the super swappers I run now there is no way I can hear tire noise over the engine/trans/wind noise etc :shock:
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
CGarbee
SGT
SGT

Post by CGarbee »

Good to see that these tires are still being made and sold (if not in the USA...). They have been in use for years by the folks in Norway, Denmark, and Israel (and others).

I have had them on my tire page for some time, mainly due to folks acquiring them on trucks returned to the USA from overseas...
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos5.htm Has some old, tired, photos of these on civilian Dodge Power Wagons (same rim as the M37...).

Could you post the sidewall info from the tires that you just mounted MM? It would be nice to update my files. :)

Thanks,

PS: I can hear the tires on my Cummins powered M37... The truck makes different sounds depending on driving surface, air pressure, and tread wear... You can pick up on what is tire, transmission, engine, body...it's like hearing a guitar even though it is playing in a band...
'53 USMC M37 w/Cummins 4BT
'64 XM708,
'51 M38
'73 M817, '71 XM813, '70 M816, '84 M931
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell
http://www.eastcoastconvoy.com
http://www.gravesmountaintrailrides.com