Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Detroit Locker in M37 ??

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

I noticed recently that there has been more than one listing on Ebay for a Detroit Locker style posi unit for the Dodge M37 rear differential. I read up a little about the Detroit on the web, but I'm wondering if anyone on here has tried installing one in their M? There were some strange comments made about not taking turns under power to allow the diff to unlock, etc.....and I'm wondering if this unit is really streetable or not. If you've got any experience with this type of locker please let me know.

thanks,
bob
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Detroit Locker in M37 ??

Post by Monkey Man »

You'd be better of with the ARB air lockers if another batch comes out, a Much better option...

MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Bob,

I would have to agree with MM.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
skinnedknuckles
CPL
CPL

Post by skinnedknuckles »

I have run detroit lockers in Jeeps for 20+ years, one thing is to say that they are TOTALLY different animal on the streets especially when you have an offset differential. They are ,in my old school thoughts, still the best off road but on road they can be very dangerous. Like for instance you are going down a slippery road and come to a curve, you apply brake, turn the curve wheel speed difference moves the ramp in the locker engaging the opposite axle which is turning a different speed than the other axle that was powered going into curve, you come out of curve and apply gas then the rear end wants to pass the front end- not good at all more so in a short wheelbase vehicle with offset differential. About the only problems that I have run into with the ARB are with the air line getting damaged and the quad ring seal and little round ring for the seal getting worn causing air leakage in the differential. Otherwise they are great for both on road and off road traction. Now about axle shafts.......
Paul
Paul in Janesville, Wisconsin
1953 m37 parts truck
1961 m37b1 finally going together and turning green
and a bunch of other green trucks that are taking over my driveway
MVPA and MVPG member
ShoeStringFiftyThree
PVT
PVT

Post by ShoeStringFiftyThree »

The "Detroit Locker Style" locker I saw on Ebay looked like a plain old Lock Right in a factory case/differential to me.
Function is very similar between the two, but Detroits are usually a full case locker, and L.R.s just replace the spider gears.

I don't believe Detroit actually even makes a locker for us.

FWIW,
most M37 guys don't like the trade offs of using a Lock Right.
Bad manners & the occasional broken shaft.

Depending on what you use your M37 for,
an automatic locker could be very good, or very bad.

The Air Locker is usually much safer for the axle shafts
but also much more $$$
Shoe String budget 1953 M37 w/ow but w/ plow :)
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Post by JimC »

I installed Detroit Automotive No-Spins in my M37 and my Power Wagon back in the 1960's. The one in the 37 is being turned by a bb Chevy and the PW by a 318. No complaints so far, knock wood.
Hemiman
PVT
PVT

Post by Hemiman »

IIRC the Detroit No-Spin KS-22 was only made during WWII after the WC Dodges were bogging down in the Italian mud. The blue print for the unit were destroyed in a fire, and they never felt the need to re-engineer them. If you have one, it's very rare and very good as well. Great locker for the REAR. I would avoid putting one in the FRONT.
19E/K
63B
93B
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Post by JimC »

I bought two of them new in 1968-1969. Ran good. Still have.'em. They're OK in the front with power steering, but have a serious urge to do their own thing when up front. Not unmanageable though. DAPC strongly advised against putting them in the front.

From memory of what DAPC told me back then, the KS-22 came along after the War in an effort to limit noise on paved surfaces. The K-22 was the WWII version.

They must have reboxed them because the 1968 packaging was new.