Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

This One's For MajorHitt

Post by w30bob »

Hi Ed,

Remember the conversation we had at RedBall regarding the holes in the seat base behind the first aid kit? Well, here's that pic I promised you. Sorry it took to long. Webshots has gone away, I can't figure Photobucket out, and I'm stumbling my way thru FLIKR to get pics posted. Those two little holes circled in yellow are what I was asking about. I've seen them on other M's and I've seen both earlier and later trucks than mine that didn't have them........which could indicate it was an Air Force truck specific thing.....but I can't prove that in any way, shape or form at this point. But because they were in some trucks and not others they must have served some purpose....maybe. :mrgreen:

First Aid Kit Holes by w30bob

Oh, before I forget (again).....I checked to see when the Jim Thorpe meet is and it's on March 2nd this year. Weather permitting I'm going to try and make it.

take care,
bob
majorhitt
SGT
SGT

Re: This One's For MajorHitt

Post by majorhitt »

Bob I see what you're talking about. I did a check on my two Ms, I was pretty sure they didn't have them. I'm not at all familial Air Force trucks. I appears they may have used screws to hold the webbing in place for the first aid kit. Maybe someone else is more informed. Ed
majorhitt
SGT
SGT

Post by majorhitt »

I was looking around the site and found a listing under soap box, OT can you ID this light. I looked under the photobucket area and saw a sub list for M37 with 230 photos. photo 221 has the first aid kit with the two holes. This fellow may be of some help. Ed
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Those are my pics, hope they were some help. My hunch, and thats all that it is, is that there were 2 types of straps, a 1 piece and a 2 piece. I found an NOS strap that was one pieceand used it. Or, perhaps there was only one type of strap and it was riveted on, although there were no orphan rivets in the holes, So, with all that said, we still no no more than when we started!
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Well.......maybe we know something......according to ORD 9 (1954 revision) it says the strap for the first aid kit is # 7705797, and described as "Strap, First Aid Kit with Buckle and Clip, assy, used through vehicle serial number 80028867 (M37, M42,and V41).

I'm thinking it's a one piece strap and didn't change in design thru vehicle SN 80028867, which was made in May of 1952. I checked all the straps listed in ORD 9 and the two piece ones say "Riveted" or "Sewed". So I would assume that if the First Aid kit strap was a 2 piece strap it would also say "Riveted" or "Sewed", which it would have to be if it was permanently fixed to the seat support frame. So without that descriptor I'd assume it was a single piece strap.

But we still don't know the length or what the buckle looked like. I bought some cheap straps at the Red Ball rally a few weeks ago, and I have what I believe is the correct First Aid kit for my year M. With a little trial and error the correct length appears to be between 19" and 24". Any shorter than 19" won't work and anything longer than 24" has too much extra strap hanging in the way.

I still haven't figured out what buckle style would be correct for my 52....the WW2 style or the alligator type used in Vietnam.

So I think we know something about this strap....just not everything.

regards,
bob
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

my 51 has those holes
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Tuko,

The '51 in the woods by my friend's house DOESN'T have the holes......so not sure what to make of that. Maybe it was a contract specific modification? That '51 was made under contract 8615. What's the contract number of your truck?

thanks,
bob
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

looks like 47 78? tough to read does that make sense?

My G741 Registry Entry
DCook
CPL
CPL

Post by DCook »

Hi Guys,
I just got my 51 M registered yesterday, and this is my first contribution to the site. I guess I am a purist MV type, and appriciate the concern for accuracy. I will be asking a lot of questions in the future, but still have a couple of other priorities to complete before I can spend the time I'd like on my "M".
My 51 has these holes as well. I have not tried to post any pictures, and I understand it may be somewhat difficult. I would be happy to post pictures of mine, if you can provide some guideance on posting them. I have a thought on the holes. Since the first aid kit strap loops around directly behind the holes, could they have incorporated some form of fastener to retain the strap, and keep it from falling back into the battery box when loose?
Thanks for a great site!
Dana Cook
Durango, Colorado.
MVPA Member #23780
1942 Chev. 1 1/2 Ton Dump Truck
1951 M37 W/W, & Field Radio
1958 Navy CJ3B
1967 M725 Ambulance
1987 M101A2 Trailer
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Dana,

Welcome to the site! I'm a purist at heart also, so I expect we'll enjoy each other's questions and the answers to them. It was suggested that the hole could have been for either screwing or riveting the strap, so as you said....it would stay put. I honestly don't know. On mine I can see there are not thread marks in the holes, like you'd see from sheet metal screws. Could have been rivets....but then why would someone take them and the strap out? And ORD 9 doesn't list either screws or rivets in the section containing the strap description. So I'm stumped.

I started thinking along the line that maybe only Air Force trucks had the holes. Maybe because the First Aid kits used by the AF were different than what the Army had. Or maybe the AF put something different in that location. But I haven't found any proof of either.

It just seems weird that some trucks had them and some didn't. I don't know if the the seat frame we are talking about was used in earlier Dodge military vehicles, like the WC. Maybe if it was they may have had some old inventory? I know......not likey. I'm just pulling this stuff out of my butt at this point.. Finding an original picture of an early M might solve this. And I continue to look for one.

Again, welcome aboard....and don't be shy. I'm working out the picture posting thing as well.........when I figure it out I'll let you know.

regards,
bob
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Tuko,

Yes, 4778 is a valid contract number....according to the Contract info page on this forum. Thanks for finding that.

regards,
bob
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

the data plate for the glove box is hand engraved and not stamped making it hard to read. I assume it was replaced at one point as any one I ever see is stamped.

My G741 Registry Entry
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Here's an older thread w/ some pic's of mine and some others (I think?)

http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php ... ing#p25196
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Well.....the plot thickens. Maybe. I took a look at ORD 9 on a whim just to see if it listed more than one seat base (the part with the holes in it that we're talking about). Guess what? It does. It lists two. The descriptions are:

cc-1395000 Riser, seat (welded), used thru vehicle Serial No. 80025984 and 80026035, 80026041, 80026047.

cc-1397373 Riser, seat (welded), used on vehicle Serial No. 80025985 and up, exc 80026035, 80026041, and 80026047.

Now I'm not saying they made a whole new seat base just to add two little holes.....SN 80025984 corresponds to when they moved the battery from the LH compartment to under the passenger seat in the M43. But ORD 9 is pretty precise in calling out which parts are for the M43, M37, and V41 and the two seat riser descriptions don't make any mention of M43 or M37....which is a bit odd.

Has anyone seen (or own) an M43 with the battery NOT located under the passenger seat?? I'm curious as to what the differences are between the two seat risers, as the actual Passenger seat bottom (cushion and board) is listed as being the same for the 37, 43 and 41.

regards,
bob
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

When were the batteries under the drivers seat? I had never heard of that. M2 52 has them under the pass seat, so the change must have come pretty early.
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!