Top bows on/knucklehead at car show

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Top bows on/knucklehead at car show

Post by HingsingM37 »

I finally painted my top bows and decided to put them on for a car show yesterday:

http://g741.org/photogallery/main.php?g2_itemId=10766

I then took them off as my garage is not tall enough to accomodate the top bows. I wanted to get my canvas on but I ran out of time.

So this hot rod fellow parked across from me comes up and says "Wheres the winch? Why isn't the winch on it?" I explained that although my truck was originally a WW it did not have it when I bought it and at this time a winch was not in the budget, so I restored it as a WOW. He then begins to berate and scold me: "Well they NEVER MADE ANY ARMY TRUCKS WITHOUT WINCHES, IT JUST DOES NOT LOOK AUTHENTIC WITHOUT A WINCH, THAT ROPE LOOKS SILLY, YOU NEVER SAW ARMY TRUCKS WITH ROPES ON THE BUMPER, YOU'D GET MORE POINTS IF IT HAD A WINCH.!"

I replied that tow ropes were quite common and the only points I was interested in was the ones from Veterans who I built the truck to honor...I then walked away.

At the end of the day I walked away with a beautiful laser etched award plaque. Not bad for a "Non-authentic truck, WithOutWinch".. :roll: :wink:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: Top bows on/knucklehead at car show

Post by m-37Bruce »

Looks fine, even W/O da' Winch. You know there are experts behind every bumper, where was his winch I wonder? :wink:
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
captain kirk
PFC
PFC

Post by captain kirk »

There are jurks everywhere, my M37 was built WOW, where did he get his info?
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Self proclaimed "experts" are everywhere, they know it all and no matter how much logic is presented they can not be convinced. I ran into one at the range a while back while shooting a couple of M1 rifles. After looking at my Springfield and HRA he told me I had a good start with those makers but now needed to get Chrysler and Remington and Inland (GM) made ones to complete my assortment of manufactures. :shock:
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Carter wrote:Self proclaimed "experts" are everywhere, they know it all and no matter how much logic is presented they can not be convinced. I ran into one at the range a while back while shooting a couple of M1 rifles. After looking at my Springfield and HRA he told me I had a good start with those makers but now needed to get Chrysler and Remington and Inland (GM) made ones to complete my assortment of manufactures. :shock:
Awww geez Carter, now you're showing your lack of knowlege, these were little known units as they had issues. The M1 was made by Chrysler and GM but they both had problems with the bolts falling out or rusting shut and the inevitable leaking of fluids (from the operator when the bolts fell out in use) plus of course they had rust down low and used PVC instead of wood. The Remingtons had failures too but these were usually not disasterous, usually just a close shave with the occasional facial cut :wink:

Oh - and I thought ALL army trucks came with winches, Armour and M60's or 50 Cal's (optional as to what you got) :roll:

There are complete tards at every show, I had a bloke )Englishman from what he stated) swear black and blue my Landrover 101 was a bit shabby (saying that, a Vampire version of the 101 would be nice).

Best Regards - MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Don't forget about the Hoover made M1s Tony, only a small batch was made before it was discovered the shot OK but then the Hoovers sucked the bullets back and injured the shooter. :D
Carter
Life Member:
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Dang - Forgot about those :shock:
I did have another bloke a few shows ago say he liked my truck as it was better than the HMMWV as they were "Zippo's" - one bullet in the tank and the "petrol" went up, I said I thought that might have been a Hummer H1 as a HMMWV is diesel powered but the 2 can be confused due to the body shape, I was promptly reminded that I should never argue with a man whom has seen "FULL Combat". I said good day and went back to what I was doing as he seemed to be on a mission to inform everyone of his heroic deeds and I didn't want to delay him at all :roll:

Best Regards - MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

David,

Thanks for starting this thread......as dumb as it sounds I never know what the "WOW" stood for on my data plate. WITH OUT WINCH. Now why didn't I think of that? I feel pretty stupid....but that's one down.....a bunch more to go. :lol:

take care,
bob
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Glad I could help Bob.
No need to feel stupid, we are all here to learn :wink:

MM, Yes, I had a Vietnam Vet tell me my truck was from WWII and there were no M37's in Vietnam. No sense to argue in those cases :roll:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

skinnedknuckles
CPL
CPL

Post by skinnedknuckles »

Don't let these know it all's bring you down to their level. He's probably just jealous because he spent hours cleaning, washing, waxing and making his car look pretty. Here you show up with a cool looking truck that doesn't have everything chromed and shiney and the people are probably paying more attention to it because its different and to top it off you end up with an award 8) :D . Around here we are seeing more and more of the same ol' stuff at car shows, we've come up with the saying certain cars are like bellybuttons just about everyone has one :lol: The attention getter's are the different vehicles. Hold your head high ,these army trucks bring back memories to the veterans.
Paul in Janesville, Wisconsin
1953 m37 parts truck
1961 m37b1 finally going together and turning green
and a bunch of other green trucks that are taking over my driveway
MVPA and MVPG member
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Amen to that Paul :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Post by MikeOneSix »

Carter wrote:Self proclaimed "experts" are everywhere, they know it all and no matter how much logic is presented they can not be convinced. I ran into one at the range a while back while shooting a couple of M1 rifles. After looking at my Springfield and HRA he told me I had a good start with those makers but now needed to get Chrysler and Remington and Inland (GM) made ones to complete my assortment of manufactures. :shock:
Were any of your rifles equipped with Winches? Maybe that was his problem.

I must admit that the Dodges (Both WCs & M series) do look "cooler" with the winch installed but not every truck had them. I'm sure someone knows the answer but there was a ratio of winch equipped to non winch equipped trucks....
Matt
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

All rifles in my collection are With Out Winch but trying to winch the bullets back might be interesting. :wink:
Carter
Life Member:
MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Post by MikeOneSix »

Carter wrote:All rifles in my collection are With Out Winch but trying to winch the bullets back might be interesting. :wink:
I thought the bullet pays out the wire rope and you winch back in what ever the bullet has struck?
Matt
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups