Fuel pump hole covers?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Fuel pump hole covers?

Post by ZGjethro »

I have been just driving my truck and enjoying it for the last six months or so, and it is time to start working on it again. I was checking out the engine bay, and noticed a lot of fresh oil below the mechanical fuel pump. It has been disconnected from the fuel lines, and I am going to electric wipers, so I no longer need it. I have not determined what is leaking yet. If I remove the fuel pump, are there any flat covers available, or is that a part I will have to make?
Paul in Kempner, TX
PFC
PFC

Re: Fuel pump hole covers?

Post by Paul in Kempner, TX »

Typically, as a fuel pump ages, the diaphram "dies" and crankcase oil is forced back through the fuel and/or vacuum line fittings. Some folks block off the unused lines by inserting a closed loop (fuel in <-> fuel out). Most remove the fuel pump and make a cover. Use the fuel pump gasket for a pattern - and be sure to have a gasket under the cover.
Paul Cook at the Kempner Power Wagon Museum MVPA#27246

"You have to GO BUY the book before you can GO BY the book."
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Thanks Paul. Making a cover was my second choice, even though is is pretty simple to do. I was going to use some 1/8" to 3/16" stainless plate if I can scrounge some up. I have lots of standard metal plate around, but rust free stainless seems nicer.
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

Post by 8543bob »

GOOD MORNING,
All our NYC strteet signs are made of alum, and a lot seem to fall off there pedestals, mostly due to motor vehicle accidents. Thats were I got my block off plate. if you dont have a usable gasket, take a peice of paper and place it over the hole and press firmly on it. It will give you waht you need.
GOOD LUCK BOB
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Post by WarrenD »

I'd bet that Charles at M-Series Rebuilds has at least one kicking around or knows where to get one.