Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

How Long Do Soft Tops Last?

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

My project M37 is topless and I expect it will take about 2 years to fully restore. So I'm debating if I should buy a new canvas top for $375 now or make a makeshift top out of a tarp. Will a new canvas top still look good in 2 years? It will be parked outside and exposed to typical Maryland weather, meaning some snow in winter, normal rain, and summer heat. How long do canvas tops normally last anyway?

thanks,
bob
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Re: How Long Do Soft Tops Last?

Post by WarrenD »

It really depends on the weather but under outdoor conditions the canvas will obviously deteriorate much faster. I would suggest saving the top for last or at least until you have a finished interior. No sense aging a $400 top when cheaper tarps will work.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Well, it depends on how much you take care of it. Sealing it, keeping it clean etc. I've seen some canvas tops that have lasted 20 plus years. They get that dark patina to them as they age and get that old canvas smell that many of us know and love, but then again I've seen them last 5 years and fail. It's not so much that the canvas its self fails as it is the thread. Depending on the thread will depend on how long it will last. UV and moisture are the two biggest problems. A cotton thread will wear faster than a nylon thread, but then again nylon can get damaged by UV....

I agree with warren save the top for later and use a good quality tarp until your close to done.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

Post by 8543bob »

GOOD MORNING, I just replaced my original (1952) canvas top about a month ago. I had WEBE WEBBING sew up a new top out of a sunbrella material, in a tan color. If you are not going to use the truck, then I would makd a temp cover out of a tarp, If you are going to drive it while restoring then go for the new top. Just my .02
GOOD LUCK BOB
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Mine's been installed and exposed for 4 of the past 5 years and is still holding up, but is fading.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500