Bumper markings

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cav Trooper
SGT
SGT

Bumper markings

Post by Cav Trooper »

I am in the process of putting on the bumper stencils on my M37 and want to use my old company in Vietnam. I was in the 14th Aviation Battlion, 71st Assault Helicopter Company in the Avionics section. I thought the markings should read 14 AVN-71 AHC...........S-2, S standing for Signal, any ideas?

Thanks
Cav Trooper
HHT 2nd ACR
Merrell Barracks, Nuremberg, Ger.
1967/68
71st AHC, 14th AHB, Americal Div.
Chu-Lai, S. VietNam
Cav Trooper
Cav Trooper
SGT
SGT

Re: Bumper markings

Post by Cav Trooper »

I was just looking over at Olive Drab site and it looks like the markings should be more like:
23I 14BN or AVNBN? left side for 23rd Infantry, 14th Aviation Battalion. 71 or 71AHC-2 right side?

Cav Trooper
HHT 2nd ACR
1967/68
Chu-Lai, S. VietNam
Cav Trooper
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Googling some of your company's web sites yields a good selection of photos:

http://rattler-firebird.org/vietnam/unithistory/
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Cav Trooper
SGT
SGT

Post by Cav Trooper »

Yep, all the markings are from before the unit was moved and assigned to Americal 23rd Infantry Div and the 14th Aviation Bn. in Chu Lai. I've gone through all of the photos as I belong to the Rattlers and Firebirds Association. Seems no one took any good pictures of vehicles other than Hueys just like I did. I thought the standard was simple but it's a little more complicated than I originally thought. The 71st AHC would be substituted for the 501st on the right side so, I guess the left side would be 23I-14AVN or BN, I don't know what the Aviation Battalion markings would be. I guess I'll google and see what comes up.

Thanks,

Cav Trooper
HHT 2nd ACR
1967/68
Chu-Lai, S. VietNam
Cav Trooper
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

Cav Trooper wrote:Yep, all the markings are from before the unit was moved and assigned to Americal 23rd Infantry Div and the 14th Aviation Bn. in Chu Lai. I've gone through all of the photos as I belong to the Rattlers and Firebirds Association. Seems no one took any good pictures of vehicles other than Hueys just like I did. I thought the standard was simple but it's a little more complicated than I originally thought. The 71st AHC would be substituted for the 501st on the right side so, I guess the left side would be 23I-14AVN or BN, I don't know what the Aviation Battalion markings would be. I guess I'll google and see what comes up.

Thanks,

Cav Trooper
Hey let me do some digging on this in the next couple of days!!!!! I will see what I can come up with. I got a couple of books about your unit!!! I like seeing guys that do vehicles in their unit. I got a friend who was with the "Outcasts" and he build their flight line jeep.

Maybe some day I will ship my UH-1 tail rotor blade to you to sign :D

Welcome Home.
Green Mountain Military Vehicle Club Army Transportation Association Vietnam

http://linehaulrvn.tripod.com
1951 M37
1954 M37
1953 M62
1967 M54A1C
1968 M54A2C
1968 M52A2
1966 M151A1
Cav Trooper
SGT
SGT

Post by Cav Trooper »

I think I have it figured out. I believe it should be 23 I 14 AHB on the left and 71 AHC with a vehicle number on the right. I got onto the Americal page and the 14th Aviation and from there to the other companies we served with in Chu Lai and still couldn't find a picture. I finally looked for abbreviations for the 14th and found that what I thought should be AVN BN for Aviation Battalion was actually AHB for Assault Helicopter Battalion. Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Cav Trooper
HHT 2nd ACR
1967/68
Chu-Lai, S. VietNam
Cav Trooper
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

Cav Trooper wrote:I think I have it figured out. I believe it should be 23 I 14 AHB on the left and 71 AHC with a vehicle number on the right. I got onto the Americal page and the 14th Aviation and from there to the other companies we served with in Chu Lai and still couldn't find a picture. I finally looked for abbreviations for the 14th and found that what I thought should be AVN BN for Aviation Battalion was actually AHB for Assault Helicopter Battalion. Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Cav Trooper

Yes, thats what I was thinking also, I just wanted to confirm it. I was only second guessing the AHB part......:) Keep us posted on your project with pictures. It would be neat to see you pick up some radio parts from a huey to put in the back of the truck!!
Green Mountain Military Vehicle Club Army Transportation Association Vietnam

http://linehaulrvn.tripod.com
1951 M37
1954 M37
1953 M62
1967 M54A1C
1968 M54A2C
1968 M52A2
1966 M151A1
Cav Trooper
SGT
SGT

Post by Cav Trooper »

I got to ride in an H model "slick" in Atlanta last year with my son. I had not been in one since Nam in 69. Just as I remembered, smells, sounds, motion....emotion. My son had only riden on in a Ranger once on a sight seeing flight. He is 36 and we shared the experience. He couldn't believe how crude the Hueys were. I told him they weren't meant to be flying Cadillacs like the Ranger. I might just have to dig up some old Huey parts if I can. I might touch base with the guys down in Atlanta, we will be down there for Thanksgiving. I might think about some nose art for the doors, not sure yet. We were the Rattlers and Firebirds.

Cav Trooper
HHT 2nd ACR
1967/68
Chu-Lai, S. VietNam
Cav Trooper