WHAT IS THAT SMELL??

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Joe
CPL
CPL

WHAT IS THAT SMELL??

Post by Joe »

That's what my wife says anyway. Personally I like the smell of new military canvas but I guess it's an acquired taste. Even my son who's been in the USMC for six years doesn't like it! But can anyone tell me what it is that they apply to military canvas that gives it that distinct odor? I think it's part of the water proofing or maybe the mildew resistance treatment but I'd like to know what the actual chemical is.

PS Glad to see this site working again even if it still has glitches. I had to go through some weird contortions to get logged in so I could post this message.
M42Dodge
PVT
PVT

Re: WHAT IS THAT SMELL??

Post by M42Dodge »

I think is it a anti fungal compound of some sort.

Years ago, I recieved a catalog from Beachwood Canvas. They used to staple a couple of their canvas samples to the front cover and the smell was there when I opened the envelope. The best part was when I took the catalog to work. I was sitting at a conference table with about eight others eating lunch. I pulled the catalog out and right away, five of the guys perked up, noticing the odor coming from the catalog. Two were WW2 vets, two from Korea and one from Viet Nam. They asked what I had and I handed it to the first guy. They all took turns passing the book around sniffing the samples and in turn saying how that smell brought back a flood of memories from their military service days. It was a wierd sight. It reminded me of my days in school when all the kids would smell the "ditto" sheets as the teacher passed them out...

TJM
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

I love that smell. Every time I drive my truck I think of all the old tents we had when I was a kid and camped allot .
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I don't know what the NSN is, but the nomenclature is "Repellant, Pest, Female." :wink:
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Glenn
CPL
CPL

Post by Glenn »

Lifer wrote:I don't know what the NSN is, but the nomenclature is "Repellant, Pest, Female." :wink:
:lol: It does seem to work.
Joe
CPL
CPL

Post by Joe »

Lifer wrote:I don't know what the NSN is, but the nomenclature is "Repellant, Pest, Female." :wink:

So that's your secret! :D