4.89 gears wanted

Buy and sell M37 and related stuff

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Forum rules
Your Location must be included in your advertisement or it may removed without notice.
Dan in Michigan
PVT
PVT

4.89 gears wanted

Post by Dan in Michigan »

I am still looking for a good set of 4.89 gears (front and rear axles). I plan on doing a modern re-power sometime in the near future and would like to have some 4.89's to install at that time. Thanks
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: 4.89 gears wanted

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Dan in Michigan wrote:I am still looking for a good set of 4.89 gears (front and rear axles). I plan on doing a modern re-power sometime in the near future and would like to have some 4.89's to install at that time. Thanks
PM sent to you.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
BIGmansM

Post by BIGmansM »

MSeriesRebuild wrote:
Dan in Michigan wrote:I am still looking for a good set of 4.89 gears (front and rear axles). I plan on doing a modern re-power sometime in the near future and would like to have some 4.89's to install at that time. Thanks
PM sent to you.
How many sets do you have?
If this poster doesn't buy the ones you have. let me know
-Todd
Dan in Michigan
PVT
PVT

Post by Dan in Michigan »

You can buy them new. I am sure Charles probably has some or can get them, and I know Bob Stahl has them.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Dan in Michigan wrote:You can buy them new. I am sure Charles probably has some or can get them, and I know Bob Stahl has them.
We got them, if interested you can contact me from the wesite below.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Chunk
CPL
CPL

Post by Chunk »

Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Ha - I found those the other day - I'm glad some else did to, as I was meaning to post them, but alas, became distracted... :roll:
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Only if you want to get ripped off, however it is a great price for the seller. I have never heard of any from the manufacturer listed in the ad.

4.89's are not rare, we offer them for $450 per set or $900 for front and rear. That is a $700 savings over the ones on ebay.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

I thought Richmond Gears was the only company making the 4.89 gears for the Dodge axles.
The logo engraved in the polyestirene crate is the richmond gears logo. (two diamonds overlapped)
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
Chunk
CPL
CPL

Post by Chunk »

Juan, You are absolutely correct!!!!! Those are richmond gears! If the pictures were clearer,I bet one coud see it stamped in the ring,or pinion.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

BIGmansM wrote:
MSeriesRebuild wrote:
PM sent to you.
How many sets do you have?
If this poster doesn't buy the ones you have. let me know
I try to keep some on hand all the time.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Chunk wrote:Juan, You are absolutely correct!!!!! Those are richmond gears! If the pictures were clearer,I bet one coud see it stamped in the ring,or pinion.
The gears pictured in the ebay ad are not Richmond. I have Richmond, they are not stamped like the ones pictured. Some years back, US Gear in Ohio made a run or 2, quality wasn't there, went back to Richmond. The present ones are made in the Richmond plant at Liberty, SC. The Richmond pinion shafts are not drilled for a cotter key used to secure a castle type pinion nut like the ones pictured. Richmond's require a self locking pinion nut. The early Richmond's (years ago) were drilled for the cotter key, however that soon stopped as the ends of the shaft were prone to breaking off at the cotter key hole when the pinion nut was torqued.

The ones pictured with the Industrial Products logo look the same as original 5.83 gears used in M37's and civilian PW's which do bear that logo. 4.89 gearing was an option in civilian Dodge Power Wagons. These appear to be original gears sets from that era. If that is the case, they are indeed a rare bird. This seller may not even know the Richmond gears are available. I doubt that though, because as mentioned the packaging is definitely Richmond Gear 100%. Another dead give away that these are not a Richmond product is the finish on the gears, these are bare metal and if you look close at the pinion shaft picture, you can see specs of rust on it. Richmond gears have a black coating as a presevative that must be removed before pressing on the bearings.

Several unanswered questions, but they are not worth the asking price since a quality Richmond replacement is available for much less. Actually I would opt for the Richmonds over the ones pictured any day. My guess is these are many years old, were manufacturered using old tecnology. It is a proven fact that current gears from a quality manfacturer are much more accurate and true to design than older stuff because of the technologically advanced machinery of today. Good set up is way easier to achieve with current gearing.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
CREEPING DEATH
PFC
PFC

Post by CREEPING DEATH »

IIRC, Industrial Products Company a/k/a IPCO was the first company to offer these back in the 80s. They were likely made by Richmond under contract. I think IPCO also originated the drop-in "Lock-Right" type lockers. There were ads in Army Motors and Supply Line 25+ years ago.

CD