Changing Gear Oil

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

GEAR OIL

Post by 8543bob »

GOOD FOR LIFER. THATS WHAT THESE TRUCK ARE, A LEARNING EXPERIENCE. GET IT HOME, BY TRAILER AND GET INTO IT. SAID ABOVE, LOTS OF HELP HERE. THES M 37 ARE A BLAST. GOOD LUCK
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Camp should be ok as long as he obtains the oddball tools such as the wheel bearing socket. Military vehicles of this era are simplistic in design, and besides, we're here to help!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Camp

Post by Camp »

Thanks for all the great advice. Cuz is absolutely correct. Very limited in my knowledge. Basically, a friend of mine had this truck up and running 20 years ago when I was a kid. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it, I would love to buy. Time passed and he came to me recently and said he wanted to sell the truck. I asked "What truck"? Although the price was right, $1.00 and one year to get it off his property, I was hesitate because even w/ my limited mechanical knowledge, I did realize this was going to be complictated work in progress. Then I started to clean it out, put some new batteries in it, and it actually turned over. It was alot of fun tinkering around with it, especially with my little boy sitting in the driver's seat, but I knew i was going to need to get some advice as I continued to try to figure out how to get the thing up and running: Hence the original post.

I will take all the advice with me the next time I get out there, and let ya'll know were I am with it.

Thanks, Camp
Camp

Post by Camp »

Also, two manuals came with the truck: TM 9-8030, Department of the Army Tech Manual, and a specifications manual for Dodge 3/4 Ton 4*4 Truck, published by Memphis Equipment.

Camp
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Beginner....

Post by Nickathome »

Best advice I can give you friend is take it slow, do not put a time limit on things, and most of all, DO NOT look at the big picture! Work one project at a time, even if its as simple as sweeping out the bed. It all adds up in the end. If you can get the thing to crank, thats a good thing as it tells you the engine is free. Replace all fluids, check for spark, install fresh gas and if the timing is correct it should fire up.

And one more thing, do not be afraid to ask a question....any question! I don't care how retarded you think the question may be...ask it anyway. For as they say the only dumb question is the one never asked.

And if questions were retarded, I'd be a gold medal winner in the special olympics with all the questions I've asked over the years, and continue to ask.

Most here would probably admit to being in your boat from a mechanical standpoint. I know I was when I started. I didn't know shit from shinola about m37's or how to get one running or whatever. You learn over time and these trucks are good teachers as they were designed with 18 year old farm kids in mind, not the knowhow of some NASA scientist....
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Ditto Nick, and a little more: keep a log book of everything you've done, and take "before and after" pictures as you complete each mini-project. It will remind you where you began and how much you've accomplished when the "what did I get myself into?" feeling hits-we've all been there, so be prepared to work through it and don't give up!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Rich
CPL
CPL

Post by Rich »

Camp
Welcome! Allthe advice given is very good. I would like to add another suggestion. If you want to get it running first run it off a jerry can , by passing the fuel tank. What I am saying is to check the fuel tank for sludge and rust and who knows what else. the fuel pickup tbe on my truck was also plugged . It can be accessed by removing the cover in the bed. Use a good penetrating oil. I use PB Blaster. Spray them then spray the the screws on top of the tank. Let them soak a while. Do not be in a hurry, work the screws Loosen and tighten spray, loosen an tighten slowly.
If it has been sitting the fuel pump diaphram may be leaking fuel in to the oil. I rebuilt mine with a kit from THEN & NOW Auto motive 781-335-8860. They also offer rebuild services. There kits are expensive but they use modern gasket material that is compatable to todays fuel. This is only the tip of the iceberg in order to get it running. Look over your wiring especially check you battery cables, making sure the rubber casing is in good shape. You would not want to ground your positive cable. That means also to check the positive cable to the battery jumping port (that is the round cap on the lowwer drivers side fender. Be safe Have fun!
Rich
jbxx
SGT
SGT

Post by jbxx »

All good advice.
A battery disconnect, check old wiring and a marine gas tank
on the passenger floorboard are winners.
Search for front disc upgrade too!
Wecome to the madness!
J.B.