pertronix

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

xm708
SSGT
SSGT

pertronix

Post by xm708 »

Anybody here use the pertronix module for your m37 ? If so did you like the results ?

ed
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

There are several forum members who have made that swap. ALL report excellent results.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

I bought one from Charles and installed it several years ago and have been happy with the results, the engine starts easily and the unit produces a much stronger spark at the plugs than with the orig. points/condenser set-up. I plan to get one for the red truck when I'm further along with the project.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
xm708
SSGT
SSGT

thanks

Post by xm708 »

Thats what I thought the results were. I will find one over the internet and give it a try.
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

It is simply an act of replacing mechanical points with a magnetic sensor that still does the same job. Hotter spark can only come if you upgrade to a hotter coil. The hall effect sensor eliminates the need to sharpen an old skill called setting the points. If you prefer not to be bothered with mechanical point setting and frequent replacement then the Pertronix Hal effect sensor is the ticket for you. If you want more performance you will need to spend more money then just the cost of the Pertronix unit.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Wes hit it right on the head, with one minor tweak:

The petronix could produce a hotter spark, IF, your factory system is out of adjustment. If it is in adjustment and set right, points will work just as well.

A hotter coil with the magnetic pickup will work best though.
mattveeder
CPL
CPL

Post by mattveeder »

The swap is the best money you will spend. Just so I could get a good feel for the difference I put new points and condenser in and adjusted them. Then drove it and immediatly cdid the change over and I did notice a difference. Its money well spent.
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

This all reminds me of a fellow on my M series jeep web site forum. He posted this note:
How are you guys dealing with the mechanical points in the distributor? I only got 5,000 miles out of mine and I had to adjust them. Thinking about that Pertronix thing.
Well how many guys here recall how often you adjusted your ignition points from 1950 through 1970? I seem to recall feeling the degredation in performance about 1500 miles and I was usually back under the hood adjusting them. I didn't mind it back then. It kept you on a regular under the hood visit schedule and you often found other things while you were there to sort out. I still don't mind crawling in there every 1000 or so miles.

Don't take me wrong. I think we do need to soak up some of the modernization thing. Just look here. Every minute we spend on this keyboard could have been spent driving or putzing with the big M! :wink:
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
jbxx
SGT
SGT

Post by jbxx »

I did it and was very satisfied.
I also matched it to a Pertronics coil. Much hotter spark.
I do have one little bit of advice if you are a bit OCD/ paranoid like me.
My truck lives in an area subject to frequent close lightning strikes
( fire lookout) .
I have lost ALL my electronics in everything a couple of times.
So I keep a set of points on a dist mounting plate in my glove box.
5 min swap if I need it!
J.B.
xm708
SSGT
SSGT

coil

Post by xm708 »

That brings up a new question about coils. I have not seen any coils for the original style distributor except stock is there something out there taht is better than stock. I need a coil too but I will buy new production not NOS only because those coils are old just not used.

ed