Flywheel inspection plug...

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Oddjob
SGT
SGT

Flywheel inspection plug...

Post by Oddjob »

Flywheel inspection plug... as I was creeping under the truck I saw that the plug that I believe is the flywheel inspection plug is missing where can I obtain something like that...?
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

You may find it in the glove box. They are only used when fording and the T.O. says to keep it in the glove box when not in use.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Oddjob
SGT
SGT

I'm sure...

Post by Oddjob »

I'm sure I'll find something in the glove box not sure it that'll be it... suppose its not there and I want to make make it so the vehicle can ford where would I go looking for one...?
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

blank
Last edited by M-Thrax on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oddjob
SGT
SGT

Haven't...

Post by Oddjob »

Haven't found it yet... So I'll probably have my mechanic buddy order up one of those 3/4 NPT's...
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

blank
Last edited by M-Thrax on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oddjob
SGT
SGT

Thanks for the image...

Post by Oddjob »

Thanks for the image I'll save that in case I happen to run across one in the meantime I'll pick up something that will work... just in case...
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Plug

Post by Nickathome »

Be careful though if buying a plug from a plumbing supply, etc, Most of those plugs you buy today are from offshore and although the plug may fit the threads, it may also be a loose fit, and able to thread in far enough to contact the flywheel. I almost made that mistake. I replaced the civy cover that was on mine with a military one and went to install a plug that I had lying in my drawer. I didn't know at the time to leave it off and it bottomed out on the flywheel. Glad I learned that lesson or alot of trouble could have ensued
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Post by WarrenD »

Which could be why the original one in the photo has a lip on it. That would keep it from being run in too far and with a gasket, would provide a better seal.
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Tapered pipe thread relies on the taper to ensure that when the fitting is properly torqued it will not loosen. Therefor it is very important that you tighten it to that specified torque and if too much extends into the housing you will have to remove it and grind some meet off the smaller end. Stopping short of correct torque on a pipe fitting will result in the fitting working loose. That original flanged tapered pipe fitting when tired and worn out will not thread far enough in to tighten up and will need to be replaced when that happens. Also tapered pipe fittings seal via the threads which is a good reason to use a pipe fitting sealant with them such as medium weight Tite Seal.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.