Electromagnetic Pulse Bomb

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Montanaorbust
PFC
PFC

Electromagnetic Pulse Bomb

Post by Montanaorbust »

i know yall really dont talk about politics on here.. But there is alot of talk about the deal with Iran and Israel. We wont get into all that. However Glenn Beck, and many others think that a EMP bomb may be used in the near future. Now i dont know very much about bombs, let alone EMP's. But would my stock 51 M37 survive a blast like this?
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I don't know anything about EMP bombs, either, but I'll go out on a limb here and say it'll probably stand a better chance of survival than you would. ;)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Montanaorbust
PFC
PFC

Post by Montanaorbust »

So that $200.00 seed bank kit isnt going to do me any good.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

The chances of surviving and EMP blast are very good - unless you're dependant on anything electronic - like a pace maker. Anything with complex electronics in it will usually be fried afterward - like tv's, radios, computers, transistors, microwaves, etc... I'm sure ya'll can imagine what kind of havoc that scenario might generate. Generally speaking, an EMP would turn the clock back about a 100 years on technology, covering a relatively small area for a while. I have no idea how long the effect from the blast would last.

The military switched to diesel engines explicityly to avoid this sort of thing, as most older diesel engines don't rely on complex electronics to operate. I can't speak for the newer stuff - but the older mechanicaly injected diesel engines will probably operate just fine. Gas engines may too depending on how old they are and what type of ignition system they have.

Loss of human life would be minimal, but loss to way of life would be dramatic... :shock:
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

Any vehicle with a computor or electronic ignition ( no points/cond) would be toast., I'm told that modern military vehicles like the FMTV have shielded elec systems.
I know when a nuclear bomb goes off it emits a emp it also changes the negative ions ( electrons?) in the atmosphere to positive ions for about 24 hours so nothing electrical working for that period and even vehicles with points would not start until the positive ions dissipate., Now those of us with M-35A2's who have them parked on a slope might be able to get them jumped started ( even though the intank boost fuel pump won't be working )
I read awhile back that if a nuclear warhead ( don't remember what megaton) was set off about 15 miles up over Nebraska Edit: between the positive atmosphere and the emp burst it could shut this Country down for 24 hours. If you'll excuse me I'm gonna go move my deuce :roll:
Last edited by M-Thrax on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greencom
SGT
SGT

Post by greencom »

As long as you have no solid state electronics controlling anything in your vehicle there would be no effect. Has to have a mechanical voltage regulator also. Keep any old tube radios around that you have, they will be safe too. Although I do watch Glenn Beck I think he does tend to go overboard with the fear factor, he is an alarmist, it's good for ratings. An EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) attack would take a superpower like China or Russia to accomplish. I'm not saying they wouldn't do it but the danger these days is from the middle east and I do not believe they have nuclear bombers or ICBM's, at least not yet. BTW any nuclear weapon delivers an EMP they always did. The damage would occur in an instant, frying any exposed solid state electronic device by causing a large current spike in the circuit. There would be no lasting aftereffects, after the instant of the blast you could fire up any undamaged electronics again, until another blast occurs. My company is in the defense business and we are aware of the dangers of an EMP attack.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

EMP

Post by Nickathome »

The good thing from an EMP standpoint is as far as I know firearms aren't affected by EM pulses. So you'd still be able to protect life and limb.
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Re: EMP

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Nickathome wrote:The good thing from an EMP standpoint is as far as I know firearms aren't affected by EM pulses. So you'd still be able to protect life and limb.
That is as long as you own one of the pistols with out the electronic trigger safety.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Electronic safeties? My newest gun is a Model '97 Winchester 16-ga. Guess I don't have to worry about EMP impact on my weapons, huh? :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

Holy Pooper

Post by anthony manzella »

Lifer wrote:Electronic safeties? My newest gun is a Model '97 Winchester 16-ga. Guess I don't have to worry about EMP impact on my weapons, huh? :)
I dont b having any of them ther gizmos, L.M.A.O lie lie lie that ant me I dont care what the video shows. :wink: 8)
Hit Duh Ground Runnin
MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Re: EMP

Post by MikeOneSix »

W_A_Watson_II wrote:
Nickathome wrote:The good thing from an EMP standpoint is as far as I know firearms aren't affected by EM pulses. So you'd still be able to protect life and limb.
That is as long as you own one of the pistols with out the electronic trigger safety.
Ahh Man! My phase plasma rifle in the 40 watt range*! guess I'll have to revert back to the M4
Matt

* Anyone care to guess what movie that's from? It came out in '84 staring the "Governator"
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
poor rich
CPL
CPL

Post by poor rich »

Im no expert, just another parrot repeating what I've heard.
My understanding is all military electronics are shielded with metal housings or are installed inside metal housings such as under the hood of a truck.
Civilian electronics often times are not shielded, radios, tv, laptops have plastic cases, i.e. poof!
The real threat comes from the EMP to the electrical grid, millions of miles of power lines act as an antenna.
The power grid will go off line automatically and cause some power equipment damage just like big sun flares do, and may take longer to restart, but our power plants are already equipped for this (and so is Israel's). the real damage comes to everything that is plugged into the power grid and turned on, but not properly protected. Hospitals and computer systems, phone and internet.
Also remember almost everything today that plugs in is an energy vampire, so even though its shutoff it still is working, looking for remote controls and such.
Rich
My wife loves to cook, bakes fresh cookies for my lunch every week, and now she wants a 15" Mortar.... life is good!
MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Post by MikeOneSix »

A friend of mine was the company commander of the NBC unit of the 29th Infantry. I remember him telling me that if someone wants to protect electrical componants from an EMP all you have to do is store it in an ammo can. That's what the military does (apparently). So if you're really concerned about this, just take an extra set electrical componants for your M37 and store them in an ammo can (probably a good idea to throw in some desicant packs too).

......So no takers on the movie quote?

Matt
Kurt Hirte
PFC
PFC

Post by Kurt Hirte »

Arnie in the Terminator...gun store owner says something like "just what you see here pal" Then of course the famous " hey buddy , you got a dead cat in there? " Response :lol: Kurt
MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Post by MikeOneSix »

Kurt Hirte wrote:Arnie in the Terminator...gun store owner says something like "just what you see here pal" Then of course the famous " hey buddy , you got a dead cat in there? " Response :lol: Kurt

That's right, Kurt.....We have a winner!! :)
Matt