New Old guy needing opinions

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

milstencil
CPL
CPL

Post by milstencil »

Take it from an ex Islander :!:, and, yes there are more than 2 MV nuts on the island.
There are a great bunch of guys in the TWO clubs who can give you a hand with the truck.
WARNING, WARNING :!: Do not let Peter near your truck or you may have a set of dualies on the front axels :!:
Rick
Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

Josh wrote:I'll be the pessemist here and say that it looks pretty dang rusty. I see a new cab tub, fenders and probably bed floor in your future at the least. The tailgate looks good though!
Josh, some rust is to be expected on this damp Island. No way around it even if you don't drive on salted roads. The only way to keep anything as nice as when you did it up is to keep it in a dehumidified environment as a hanger queen. What does help in my case is that I've been welding all of my adult life and still enjoy fabricating.
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

just making sure you know what you're getting into... :lol:
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

rust

Post by Nickathome »

Josh wrote:just making sure you know what you're getting into... :lol:
I saw no rust issues in those photo's that couldn't be dealt with. Even the rusted hole in the door floorboards and door frame areas isn't that difficult to remedy. My truck had some cancer around and uder the windshield, and on one bed side, and I looked at it as a challenge, not as "look what I got into". Now I didn't have the welding experience that the gentleman in this thrad obviously has, so I doubt he'll have any problems. If I could do it and have it turn out looking decent, I think anyone can.
m-11
SGT
SGT

Post by m-11 »

I think it's a good deal and it doesn't look as if it needs a lot of work. Well worth the asking price considering what it would cost to buy a clunker and restore it to this vehicles current condition. Welcome to the hobby. Great find, good luck with it.
anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

M 37 1960

Post by anthony manzella »

CHECK the date plate on the glove box should give most of the information of that M 37, Good luck with her ! :wink: 8)
Hit Duh Ground Runnin
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

definately something you can hadle I see, after flipping through your albums.

Is that a Kohler V-twin on your outboard?
uglyranger
PFC
PFC

Post by uglyranger »

Welcome home, Wayne. I looked at and enjoyed your album.
Ugly Ranger
Rangers Lead The Way
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

Josh wrote:definately something you can hadle I see, after flipping through your albums.

The current drive on my La. custom built boat is a Pro-Drive. I run 30 mph in 4" of water. The power plant is a 36hp 1000cc V-twin Briggs. Motor site is here

http://www.prodriveoutboards.com/home.htm
Last edited by Wayne64 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

uglyranger wrote:Welcome home, Wayne. I looked at and enjoyed your album.
Thanks Much, uglyranger that means a lot to me. The album would be a lot better if I dig out my old photos and do some scanning. The other Indian I restored was a total basket case 1943 741 Indian Scout, and unlike a lot of military vehicles I did it up without unit markings. I wanted it to look like it was just un-crated in the motor pool.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I like that Pro-drive outboard!! Looks like you could run a jon boat on nothing more than a heavy dew with one of those. Been a few times I coulda used a motor like that. :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
NCmountainman
PFC
PFC

Post by NCmountainman »

WELCOME to the group! In the pictures, it looks like a pretty decent truck. I would take a very close look at the the underside for any serious rust, being in NY with all the salt they use on the roads. Mine came from NY and has surface rust underneath but nothing serious. Apparently mine wasn't driven very much, with only 6225 miles. Some people just don't wash the salt residue from underneath their trucks.
Ed Bennett
MVPA #31853
1951 Dodge M37 G741
1983 Jeep CJ5
1942 Chev G506 (SOLD)
Nothing is Fool Proof to a suffeciently talented fool.
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Wayne64 wrote:
Josh wrote:definately something you can hadle I see, after flipping through your albums.

The current drive on my La. custom built boat is a Pro-Drive. I run 30 mph in 4" of water. The power plant is a 36hp 1000cc V-twin Briggs. Motor site is here

http://www.prodriveoutboards.com/home.htm
We're (Kohler, I work there) is releasing a 999cc 40hp Vertical shaft here shortly :) Should strap one of those babies on there! :lol:
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

An update

Post by Wayne64 »

Today after I had my old body flogged by the 30mph wind and getting salt spray in the face at station 1,7 and 8 I left the skeet range and meet up with the owner. For now lets just say he knows his military vehicles, he has a garaged 1943 command car in perfect condition. He got the M37 started while I was there and it sounded fine, but no brakes so no drive. He pulled the plate and checked the MC and it was about empty. He filled it and after a number of pumps a firm pedal returned, which kind of surprised me. Unless all the wheel cylinders are leaking and they are self bleeding? A bit more rust than I first saw, front fender edges, lower left rear of cab, and right side of cab just in front and down a little from the wind shield. It was registered this year, but today I looked at the year on the DMV sticker and it showed 1967? Of course I was so cold from the mornings shooting I forgot to write down stuff off the data plate :roll: I'm not great at beating folks up on price so after I felt comfortable I asked for his bottom line price. His answer was $3,500. I told him I would let him know in a day or two. I did check steering box play and got about an inch of steering wheel movement before the tires started to move.
anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

steering wheel play !

Post by anthony manzella »

1" I would say is acceptable, if it can be in YOUR budget and you feel good about your deal GRAB IT UP ! as always Good Luck on your quest !!! :wink: 8)
Hit Duh Ground Runnin