Power steering kit

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

68mgc

Power steering kit

Post by 68mgc »

I've decided to install power steering on my 1953 M37. The truck has the 230 c.i. engine and 24 volt electrics. I've looked at M-series, VPW, and Ezsteer kits on line and would like to know any opinions good or bad that you guys have. The the easier the install the better. Thanks in advance.
Rdinatal
CPL
CPL

Re: Power steering kit

Post by Rdinatal »

To install PS on mine was way low on the list. Then after driving, it was pushed to the top. A very good upgrade if the budget is there.

To answer your question: Each 'kit' will get you 90% there. I purchased mine from M-Series and was told there will be some custom work as not every truck is the same. The kit was complete except for the hoses, those are custom built. There was also more machine work to the steering column and sheet metal than I was setup to do.
I eventually contracted M-Series to install. Also had them do a few more items that would take me months to do (if at all).

Was it cheap, no. I will say that, for me, it was a great decision for an upgrade.
1952 M37 - Mods = Locking hubs, battery switch, 2 bank charger, PB, PS, Pertronix SSI, Elect fuel pump w/filter&pressure switch.

Planned: Seatbelts, Bimini top :roll:
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

As much as I hate spending money, I'd recommend M-series Rebuild's unit. Even though it isn't a drop in and is expensive.
The others don't do anything to address the stress they add to the frame where the box mounts. Cracking has been often reported.
Personally, exercise is cheaper. I run stock steering and have for 10 years of daily driving. I'm an old man and not buff. It only sucks parallel parking.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

just me wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:39 am Personally, exercise is cheaper. I run stock steering and have for 10 years of daily driving. I'm an old man and not buff. It only sucks parallel parking.
A poor power steering installation was on my truck when I bought it. When it had issues, I was fine driving it on the road, even with the tiny Chevy S10 pickup steering wheel that was in it (though as you mentioned, parallel parking was a pain). However, I use my truck for working in the woods: I realy appreciate the power steering on rough terrain or when trying to make a 13-point turn on a narrow woods trail.

Greg Coffin (greg@highlandbuilt.com) sells a very nice bracket that bolts on to the 230 engine to support a Saginaw steering pump in exactly the right alignment (I have one modified to fit a 251 on my M37). I heard he might have a bracket for mounting the power steering box on an M37, but am not sure about that. Worth touching base with him to see what he has.

He does great work. I also have his power brake kit (dual circuit MC and vacuum boost). Very happy with it - especially happy that I was able to keep the original hanging pedals in my M37 (unlike some other kits). I'm running it with front disk and rear drum brakes.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
RedUtilityTruck
PVT
PVT

Post by RedUtilityTruck »

I've wondered if electric power steering is an option... I've not looked into any details but my engine room is already full with snow plow pump and valves... which is part of why I would like power steering.. I am in the the woods with the truck as well, but plowing is when I need a third arm.
Rdinatal
CPL
CPL

Post by Rdinatal »

RedUtilityTruck wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:47 pm I've wondered if electric power steering is an option...
The only electric units I'm familiar with is rack&pinion. If there is another type that might fit I'm sure it's not 24v.
1952 M37 - Mods = Locking hubs, battery switch, 2 bank charger, PB, PS, Pertronix SSI, Elect fuel pump w/filter&pressure switch.

Planned: Seatbelts, Bimini top :roll:
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

RedUtilityTruck wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:47 pm I've wondered if electric power steering is an option... I've not looked into any details but my engine room is already full with snow plow pump and valves... which is part of why I would like power steering.. I am in the the woods with the truck as well, but plowing is when I need a third arm.
Can the same pump be used for the plow and for power steering?
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
68mgc

Post by 68mgc »

I did see a guy on youtube who installed electric power steering on a humvee. It looked similar to the prius electric power steering unit that a lot of hot rodders and classic car guys use. It turned the wheels just fine.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I still have manual steering and confess to sometimes long for PS; however, I don't drive the truck that much so I save the cost of PS while still enjoying my truck.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500