Oil Bath Air Cleaner Gasket

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Rdinatal
CPL
CPL

Oil Bath Air Cleaner Gasket

Post by Rdinatal »

I'm trying to find what gasket is used under the oil bath air cleaner between the mounting sleeve.

There's no reference that I can find. Make one?
Cork. Rubber, Leather?
1952 M37 - Mods = Locking hubs, battery switch, 2 bank charger, PB, PS, Pertronix SSI, Elect fuel pump w/filter&pressure switch.

Planned: Seatbelts, Bimini top :roll:
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner Gasket

Post by just me »

Medium thickness paper gasket. Mine was Garlok but you can't get the material anymore.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Murf »

FelPro kit 3060 the black cork/rubber sheet. It's called cork rubber but it's more like rubber/cellulose. I just did mine. If you don't have the hole punch a 9mm case works like a champ for the 4 bolt holes. :wink:
Rdinatal
CPL
CPL

Post by Rdinatal »

I need to take a better look but it seemed to me no bolt holes are required. It just sits on top of the air cleaner mounting sleeve. Between that and the air cleaner assembly.
1952 M37 - Mods = Locking hubs, battery switch, 2 bank charger, PB, PS, Pertronix SSI, Elect fuel pump w/filter&pressure switch.

ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Rdinatal,
I seem to recall that it seals at the top of the air cleaner mounting sleeve. I don't think one is required at the bottom.

Andy
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

There needs to be a gasket under the intake extension tube to the intake elbow and one on the upper side of the flange to seal the fording shroud. (If you have the fording kit.)
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Murf »

Yes. The oil bath seals at the top of the sleeve (a simple smaller doughnut sits in the groove). Oil bath does not touch the bottom where the 4 holes are that attach the sleeve to the elbow. That's what I thought he meant.
Rdinatal
CPL
CPL

Post by Rdinatal »

Murf wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:41 pm Yes. The oil bath seals at the top of the sleeve (a simple smaller doughnut sits in the groove). Oil bath does not touch the bottom where the 4 holes are that attach the sleeve to the elbow. That's what I thought he meant.
Absolutely correct, thank you! Without the explanation and actually removing everything it wasn't obvious.
Mine doesn't have the doughnut, need to fine one.
20240301_124028.jpg
20240301_124028.jpg (88.45 KiB) Viewed 242 times

Rdinatal
CPL
CPL

Post by Rdinatal »

Thanks for all the help.

I decided to use a leather shoelace in the groove of the cleaner. The stack is sharp and I feel would cut through rubber in short time.

After a test fit and adjustment the leather was able to be stuffed in the groove. The cleaner now fits on the stack with a good seal. Will it last? Time will tell but I have many old leather shoelaces.

Next is to figure out something for under the wing nut.

Rdinatal
CPL
CPL

Post by Rdinatal »

Rdinatal wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:02 am Next is to figure out something for under the wing nut.
For the metal to metal wing nut contact area I was able to reduce the internal flare with pliers. That flare prevented the removal of the wing nut.

A large rubber washer covered by a metal washer now sits between the wing nut and the cleaner, both 1/2" hole. You can put back the flare to retain the nut in the top, but I didn't at this time.

Now the retaining wing nut screws down tight without the wings contacting the cleaner top. Nice seal!