Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

jahrafa
PVT
PVT

Steering Knuckle Bearings

Post by jahrafa »

Hello,

Looking for wisdom/guidence. Looking for opinions in preference between using the roller bearings on the upper side of the steering knuckle as opposed to the bronze cone. And also, Are they the same size? top and bottom

I have movement, in/out, on the steering knuckles. I tried adjusting it with taking off some shims but it gets too tight when turning. I don't think the bearings have ever been change so I am assuming that could be the cause .

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you!
jahrafa
EN2 Ruiz
1952 M38, 1952 M37
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Steering Knuckle Bearings

Post by John Mc »

I am the last person you want to take advice from on the steering knuckles. However, I thought I read somewhere that a bearing on the upper side will not take the beating that the bronze cones will. I think what I saw said that brinelling of the bearings/races was common if they were used in the upper side.

I could be way off on this or confusing it with something else I read. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will comment on that and set me straight if that is incorrect.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

Stick with the cones. Dodge engineers used them for a reason.

Follow the TM in setting preload on the knuckle bearings. Parts are available if needed.

PoW
jahrafa
PVT
PVT

Post by jahrafa »

Thank you both! anyone knows the timken numbers for the bearings and cups? Maybe I can find them locally.
jahrafa
EN2 Ruiz
1952 M38, 1952 M37
m-11
SGT
SGT

Post by m-11 »

jahrafa wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:09 pm Thank you both! anyone knows the timken numbers for the bearings and cups? Maybe I can find them locally.
Everything you need to know is here: https://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/ ... v1.zebra_s
jahrafa
PVT
PVT

Post by jahrafa »

Thank You m-11!
jahrafa
EN2 Ruiz
1952 M38, 1952 M37
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

m-11 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:11 am
jahrafa wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:09 pm Thank you both! anyone knows the timken numbers for the bearings and cups? Maybe I can find them locally.
Everything you need to know is here: https://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/ ... v1.zebra_s
mossecreek maple is just one persons opinion. He runs the bearing top and bottom. I think you will find more of us prefer the stock set up.