Replacement Fuel Tank

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

k8icu
1SG
1SG

Replacement Fuel Tank

Post by k8icu »

There has been some talk over the past few years of what to do for a replacement tank for your M37 is yours is missing, turned to dust, or is just so rusted your fuel filter gets clogged in less than 1 second. It would be nice if there was an after market tank out there that wasn't $800.00 but somewhere in the $200.00 - $300.00 range. No one in the mill vehicle parts producers are making one that I'm aware of other than the $800.00 stainless steel one. I don't have that kind of scratch.

Inside of my original tank was full of rust, dirt, rocks, you name it. To have it restored at a tank renewal place was going to be between 600-700 bucks. Do try it myself with muriatic acid and Redkote sealer would have cost about 300 buck and no guarantee that it was truly sealed and in good nick. To do it properly I would have had to cut the tank apart. Media blast inside and out and the weld back together. I’m an okay bugger welder. My welds hold but are not pretty. Plus I doubt they would have sealed the tank properly.

I started looking around for a replacement tank. I read on line where tanks from 3/4 ton generator trailers could be used as they were close in design as an M37's tank. But trying to find one these days seems to be like the needle in the haystack. A lot of folks used a tank out of an S-10 blazer and it's close in size, but the s-10 tank is only 18 gallons and it has the corners cut off of it.

I estimated because I couldn't get a good measurement on it that the M37 fuel tank has a length of 32.5 inches and a width of 22.75 inches and a depth of 8 inches.

I then started looking for a tank that was close to size and found the tank out of a 1980 Ford Bronco was almost perfect in size except that it was a little taller by about 4 inches but otherwise almost an exact match to the M37 tank. This tank is a length of 31.88 inches and a width of 22.25 inches and a depth of 12.75 inches. This tank is 25.5 gallons. This tank only cost me $89.00. I think with shipping and a few other things I'm all total in at around $120.00 for it.

So, the first thing I had to do was modify the hole that I wanted to put the GI fuel sender into. I used a hole saw and clamped a piece of wood in the opening to pilot the saw and cut the opening to the same size and the original sending unit.

I then drilled and tapped the holes for the sending unit to bolt down to the tank.

I then had to enlarge the hole for the fuel pickup. Again, I used a hole saw and some wood to guide the saw and I cut the opening bigger for the fuel sender. I also drilled and tapped the mounting holes.

I then took the shop vac and cleaned the inside and out of all metal shavings. With that large opening it was easy to see and get in and clean everything up. I modified the sender by bending the arm down so that it would drop lower into the tank and I took apart the fuel pick-up and put a new 5/16 tube on it and a fuel strainer from a mid-80's Chevy truck.

I then painted the tank and assembled.

The next thing I had to do was modify the tank straps for the truck. Since this tank is 4 inches taller I had to make straps that where 4 inches longer. I got 1/8 flat stock at Home Depot and I ground off the threaded rod/ bolt on the one end of the old straps and attached it to the end of the new straps and then welded them on and painted them up. Here are the straps I made installed in the truck.

Then I installed the tank.

Advantages to me are that I get a brand-new tank for a lot less money than restoring the original. Because I'm switching to a diesel motor I would have had to modify the fuel pickup anyway. The tank is 100% clean metal and I don't have to worry about any sealants failing sometime in the future. The tank is hangs a little lower, but I don't think it will impede the performance of the truck off-road. I didn't have to wait for a good use tank that may or may not actually be good to come on the market.

Disadvantage is once the bed gets installed (God only knows when that will be) the access panel for the fuel tank will probably not line up that well with the new pickup and sender and the filler neck may need a little extra curve in it. There is no drain plug to drain the tank like on the original. It's not an M37 fuel tank and therefore if you're building to original and wanted to have your ride judge at an MVPA convention I would think that this modification would cost some points in judging.

This is what I'm doing for my truck. If this can help you with your truck great. If not that's fine too. I posted this in the hope that someone may find it useful.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
ez8
CPL
CPL

Re: Replacement Fuel Tank

Post by ez8 »

I love it!

When I was restoring my fuel situation I looked all over for a replacement and didn't like the S10 tanks as a solution. I finally bit the bullet and bought a stainless steel one. That was before the world went crazy, though. Still, this is a practical solution to a common problem. 10/10.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

That is a fantastic solution Joe-great job!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

E350 van tank is also a viable solution. Nice job on your install.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

That's pretty neat. :)
Don't worry about off-roading, the truck has plenty of clearance.
Thanks for sharing. A lot will get this one useful.
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

I really like the way that this tank fits. Great job.

I would like to suggest installing some tow strap style webbing or similar material between the steel mounting straps and the tank, top and bottom if you haven't already. This will reduce the chance of the tank moving around and / or vibration making a hole in your new tank.

Regards,

Bert
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Bert, I was thinking of that, but I also saw where the tank needed to not have that so the sender would ground properly. I suppose I could put the material on the strapping and then run a ground wire to the sender. Something to think about over the winter months.
Thanks.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Looks good. Great retrofit,. Glad to see you are still working on your rig. Hope you are well and staying warm up on the old Cleveland west side.
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Travlr
PVT
PVT

Post by Travlr »

I don't know what the dimensions are for the M37 but there are square body Chevy Blazer tanks that are 28x28 and come in 25 and 31 gallons. And Suburbans have a 40(?) gallon tank.

I just bought a 31 gallon for about $135 delivered.
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

I would run a ground strap just to make sure the gauge continues to work properly farther down the road when the inevitable corrosion creeps in, between the straps and tank. I've seen holes worn into fuel tanks on trucks rather quickly just from vibration.

Regards,

Bert