M37 PTO Mix-up!

Buy and sell M37 and related stuff

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Forum rules
Your Location must be included in your advertisement or it may removed without notice.
Dave A.
PVT
PVT

M37 PTO Mix-up!

Post by Dave A. »

Well, the day started just fine but when it was time to pick up my M37 Power Take off, I thought it might be for an M37B1. And indeed, it was.

So, a wild chance that someone can help me.

Does anyone have a M37 PTO and wants to exchange for my M37B1 one?

Just a wish...

Dave A.
Dayton, Ohio
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: M37 PTO Mix-up!

Post by just me »

There is no difference between late and early PTO. The parts manuals state fitment to M37 ww and M37B1 ww.
PTO is only different for Acme Trans on CDN truck. (And worth it's weight in silver )
Housing and gear part numbers are the same 1954 and 1972.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

CDN was my thought too-nice job just me!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Dave A.
PVT
PVT

Post by Dave A. »

Well, I took a photo of the two PTO's and they are indeed different. I cannot post pictures here but was able to post them on G503. One PTO has two gears that are straight and the other has one gear that is straight and the other one has angled teeth. Feel free to contact me if you would like to see the two PTO's side by side.

Thank you for your input!

Dave A.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

From elswhere, and confirmed by posts from Charles in other posts.
Quoted text- "have mounted many PTO's from early style transmissions to NP 420's and have had no problems. And a few from late to early as well. The difference is in the drive gear for the PTO where it mates to the cluster gear. There is about ten thousandths in diameter and is easiily accounted for when setting the backlash using the gasket shims. Most folks don't understand the importance of backlash when installing a PTO. I had one fellow who was very proud that he had scored a winch setup and had it installed for a rediculous low price, something like $500. When the engine was running the PTO and transmssion were screaming. Seems this shop had installed the PTO with only the blue (RTV) gasket sealer...." End Quote.
The difference is gear diameter. Not gear shape.
I've got a pile of PTO's but they are all bolted to transmissions. Can't check the gears and can't remember the form factor. Yours may have come from some other application. They are an ISO mount.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"