M37 Horn Button

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

M37 Horn Button

Post by sturmtyger380 »

What am I doing wrong with my horn button? The old horn pieces were broken. I got a new kit for the horn button.

I put the steering wheel over the steering shaft, then the metal horn finger thing, then the nut and tightened it all up.

When I put the wire in place I have the split plastic holder down in the shaft, then metal washer and then rubber washer.

When I go to put the large spring and the three-finger horn metal piece on to check the clearance I can’t get it on because the rubber washer is sticking up too high.

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong that causes the button assembly to not go down far enough for the three fingers to get below the metal holder piece? I got it together once but the center contact on the top button piece was constantly touching the center metal of the wire end and there was no spring action.

47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: M37 Horn Button

Post by just me »

I had to perform surgery on an aftermarket one. It had the problem you have. Then I found a new old stock one from that fellow in Texas. It worked fine but the rubber button was short lived.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

The wire with the connector looks like it isn't long enough? Unless I wasn't viewing/seeing it right, aster looking at it again, I don't have that thick rubber bushing on the end.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

John at Midwest said to give him a call. He was very helpful. I understand what's going on now and will take photos.

When the parts come out of the box everything is already on the wire that is needed. Only the split black plastic piece and the spring retainer push on washer is not on the wire.

So the strategy is to feed the wire end that has only the metal tip on it up the steering column, pull enough out to slip the split plastic piece around it. Push the split plastic piece down into the steering tube, clip/push the spring retainer over the metal tip end until it snaps into the slot of the metal tip. Push that flush down on the split plastic piece. Then the top button assembly will fit down over the larger spring okay.

The metal washer and the rubber washer go on the bottom end as a seal.
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Sounds right, you’ll need that on the bottom end!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

I took pictures of how things should be on the horn wire. When I talked to John, he gave me the rundown on what order things go.

In the picture where the lock washer is on the metal tip of the wire, I could not find the one that John sent. I know I got it because I saw it in the kit. But the way my shop is it’s probably lost. So, I took a internal tooth lock washer and cut it, opened it a bit to slip on the tip and squeezed it back together. For good measure I put a little JB weld on it to help keep it in place.

47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

You have done a very nice job putting pictures with the correspondent explanations. I wish all threads here were like yours.
Fixing the horn is one of the last things to do in my list, but the steering has a lot of play so probably we're taking the time now before assembling the body onto the chassis.
I will check my horn kit (bough like two years ago in eBay) and see what I got.
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)