Hood and door star size

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Hood and door star size

Post by Argie1978 »

Can somebody tell me what size the hood star is? Approximately, of course. :)
Stencils I've seen available online come in different sizes (22in, 20in, 16in.....). Even people in Steel Soldiers claiming their truck "arrived" with a 24" star!
I know the right place and position:
*Hood: pointing forward / must be seeing even if the windshield is down.
*Door: as close to the center of the panel al possible.

I don't mind the size for door, to be honest. Although if you want to share, no problem.
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
milstencil
CPL
CPL

Re: Hood and door star size

Post by milstencil »

20" hood
16" doors
6" front bumper & tailgate
10" in front of door mounted spare tire
Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Thank you for your contribution.
And let me tell you that I've checked before and forgot to mention that the link in your signature doesn't work. At least for me.
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
vargaspj
PFC
PFC

Post by vargaspj »

I believe the guidance is that the National Symbol (5-pointed star of lusterless white, Color Chip No. 37875) will normally be applied to all tactical and combat vehicles and appropriate equipment in CONUS and overseas when issued to U.S. Army units to the front, rear, both sides, and top of the vehicle. It will be located on the largest regular area and as near as possible to the center of such area. It will not be applied in a location where it will be obscured in normal usage by paulins, canvas doors, folded-down windshields, gasoline cans, communications equipment, or other such items.

The National Symbol will be the largest size practical for use in the available space but will not exceed 36 inches measured between opposite points. The star will not be applied in sizes less than 6 inches between opposite points (this may be why some people say they got their trucks from the Army with a larger 24" star).

The recommended size for most trucks is as stated above - 20" Top of hood, 16" Right & left doors, and 6" Tailgate & front bumper and would be measured between opposite points on the star. Recommended size for ¼ Ton Utility Trucks (Jeep) is 20” Top of hood, 6” Right & left sides, and 6” Front fenders or cowl.

On horizontal surfaces the star will be applied with one point directly toward the front of the vehicle or equipment; on vertical surfaces the star will have one point directly up.