Original Brake Lines With Funk ??

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Elvis A Presley
PVT
PVT

Original Brake Lines With Funk ??

Post by Elvis A Presley »

Howdy! Hope everyone is having a great early summer - based on the current weather, it's going to be a scorcher. Get underground!!

So, I finally got a new master cylinder mounted, the front flex hoses and brake cylinders off and I noticed some funk in the brake lines. This vehicle sat for who knows how long and the brake fluid magically vanished! (probably evaporated). Anyone have any advice if I should:

1. Flush the lines out with something that might break up what's in there.
2. If #1, any suggestions on what that should be? Gas, diesel, turpentine, cool-aide
3. Say Fa-kit and buy all brand-new brake lines
4. Roll it off a cliff (only added for sarcastic value)

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!!!

Have a great weekend!
1966 Fairlane GTA
1966 M151A1
1962 M37B1 WOW
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Original Brake Lines With Funk ??

Post by just me »

Brakes are overrated and only marginally necessary.
But if you don't agree, you should probably replace all the lines.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

New lines (preferably nickle-copper or stainless).

If the old lines have gunk in them, it's probably from moisture being absorbed by the DOT3 fluid. And if that's the situation, then the original steel lines are probably rotted from the inside, and are a leak waiting to happen. Not good with a single-circuit system like in these old trucks.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

Denatured alcohol is the solvent used for cleaning out brake lines that used DOT 3.

MEK or some other nasty solvent should be used on lines that contained DOT 5.

PoW
Elvis A Presley
PVT
PVT

Thanks everyone for your wisdom!!

I did replace the front flex hoses, I'll do a little dissection on them and see what's in there.
Also in the process of replacing all the wheel cylinders - Shouldn't be all that hard to take a line loose (most likely from the rear axle) and blow it out. That might provide some insight as well.

I do agree that if there's the change of rusty lines from the inside out. Might as well change the WHOLE brake system.

Thanks again!!
1966 Fairlane GTA
1966 M151A1
1962 M37B1 WOW
j mccormick
CPL
CPL

Post by j mccormick »

When replacing the wheel cylinders, take the pistons out and coat them with silicone brake grease to prevent rust and sticking.

Joe
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I completely replaced all my brake, fuel, and vent lines with the help and supplies and equip from Fedhill. Brakes gotta, gotta always work. Wasn't hard,

hal
Elvis A Presley
PVT
PVT

Thanks Nam Vet. I was checking out the back brakes and discovered a crushed brake line, so I'll have to replace the lines anyway!
Just the way it goes.

Have a great day - and welcome home!!
1966 Fairlane GTA
1966 M151A1
1962 M37B1 WOW
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

If you make your own lines, FedHill has what you need, and you can rent a pro-grade flaring tool. I bought some of the necessary specialty tools for tubing from I think Jegs or Summit. If you decide to make your own lines, I can give you some suggestions on how to do it with great results and minimal aggravation. Hal
Elvis A Presley
PVT
PVT

Thanks Hal!! I actually ran into a pretty good deal on a brake like kit someone never used - been sitting around for a while but no worse for wear!!
I just ordered new rubber body to axle lines, so when completed, everything will be new except for the brass fittings.

Better safe than sorry!!

Have a lovely evening!!
1966 Fairlane GTA
1966 M151A1
1962 M37B1 WOW