Carburetor Rebuild Kit

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

delta31
PFC
PFC

Carburetor Rebuild Kit

Post by delta31 »

Can anyone recommend a good carb rebuild kit? I want to avoid NOS as I'm not sure how the old stuff will hold up to ethanol.
We try our best to run ethanol free but sometimes there is no choice.

I was thinking of Mikes Carburetor as I used one of his kits in a jeep. It looks like he has one for the Carter ball and Ball ETW1.

Thanks
ez8
CPL
CPL

Re: Carburetor Rebuild Kit

Post by ez8 »

I got mine from Midwest Military about 5 years ago. It was a good kit. I haven't needed to rebuild the carburetor since.
The Mike's kit doesn't look as complete as the Midwest military kit, though Mike's is a reputable vendor.

https://shop.midwestmilitary.com/produc ... air-kit-2/
https://www.carburetor-parts.com/bb-car ... -kit-k6083
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

The Mike's kit wouldn't work for the ETW1, it is for the earlier (WW2) carbs.

PoW
vargaspj
PFC
PFC

Post by vargaspj »

If you're interested in a rebuild kit from Mike's I would contact their tech support e-mail below.
Their website lists their carburetor rebuild kit K6083 for the Dodge Military truck Carter B&B with governor ETW1 carburetor. If you're interested in their rebuild kit I would contact them via e-mail below and confirm fitment.

Mike’s Carburetor Parts and Fuel Injectors.
Carter BB Ball & Ball w/Gov Carburetor Rebuild Kit Dodge Truck, K6083.
Kit Part Number: K6083.
Carter Ball & Ball 1 barrel carburetor rebuild kit.
1943-67 Dodge Truck, Military.
CARBURETOR NUMBERS ETW1-RU, ETW1-U, ETW1.
YEARS: 1943, 1944, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967.

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/bb-car ... -kit-k6083

Technical support is not available via phone. They can be reached anytime for tech support by email at sales@Mikescarb.com.
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

If the kit doesn't have the vacuum-operated accelerator pump brass piston, it is the wrong or incomplete kit.

PoW
vargaspj
PFC
PFC

Post by vargaspj »

Good call.
The picture of Mike's K6083 kit shows a pump plunger rod and seal, but not as a complete assembly with a spring and piston attached to the plunger rod as shown as item 64-90S (superseded by 64-134S) on the ETW1 Carter parts list in the linked Electronic Instruction Sheet on Mike's K6083 kit webpage.

I was curious also, so I sent a question to Mike's asking how the separate pump plunger rod and seal shown in the picture of their K6083 kit works in the ETW-1 that needs the pump plunger and rod as an assembly with the spring and piston. I'll post their answer.

Meanwhile the picture of the ETW1 carburetor repair kit that Midwest Military sells appears to have the correct pump plunger rod and piston assembly. I'm sure that the ETW1 repair kits sold by Vintage Power Wagon or Adirondack Dodge would also have the correct parts in them and would be a safe bet for purchase.

Here's some notes on a rebuild.
Accelerator pump:
Apply a few drops of oil to the accelerator pump leather cup before installing.
Polish the accelerator pump well so that the pump glides smoothly.

From the military Carter technical manual:
If removed, when reassembling the governor onto the carburetor throttle body and installing the lock washer and cam retaining nut on the throttle shaft observe the following warning to prevent ruining the carburetor throttle shaft bearings.
Page 51, paragraph 154c (assembly) - CAUTION: Cam must be pressed on shaft with finger pressure and drawn down with retaining nut (P). Tapping the cam or end of shaft will ruin shaft bearings since grooves in the throttle shaft form the ball races of the bearings.

Observe the requirement to soak certain carburetor gaskets in alcohol during assembly.
Page 62, bottom of blue ETW-1 parts list.
* Gaskets so marked must be soaked in 90 proof denatured alcohol for 15 minutes, installed on the part and let dry before using.
20-26 Main metering jet gasket
20-35 Governor adjusting screw passage plug gasket
20-51 Step-up jet gasket

Page 43 paragraph 142b(2) (this applies to the ETW1).
CAUTION. Do not remove throttle valve plate from governor equipped carburetors. A slight shift in the position of the throttle valve could upset governor calibration.

Page 43 paragraph 143.
Soak all parts, except throttle body of governor equipped carburetors, in dry cleaning solvent or volatile mineral spirits for at least 20 minutes.